LHC and the demise of String Theory

• JohnMurphy
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
15 years 10 months ago #70460 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: LHC and the demise of String Theory

You make it sound like they came up with a theory for something, that doesn't do anything, that solves no problems, so what is its use ??
Usually a theory is there to solve an encountered problem, so is what the problem its trying to solve ?

Exactly my point Dave. There is in fact no defined Theory, no predictions, no experiments and no results. (The most important part of the above is - "no predictions" - think of the implications of this, if my theory doesn't predict anything then it can never be proved right or wrong).

The initial problem they were trying to address was the 11 unanswered questions left by the Standard Model - however they introduced billions of unknowns by trying to do this - in other words they made things worse. Secondly they are proposing this as a Grand Unified Theory (GUT), however this has not been forthcoming either. There isn't even a definable Theory - there are lots of different strands of thought, often contradictory of each other which they somehow hope to tie together to give us the answer to life, the universe and everything - sounds a bit like a religion doesn't it? - it's certainly not Physics as we know it. The emperor is naked as the day he was born. I can say this because I'm not defending a position in physics and have nothing to lose. I wonder how many physicists would love to have the freedom to speak out against String.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #70489 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: LHC and the demise of String Theory
It sounds like another spin off of the "worm holes and baby universes" theories again. Sure, if some great minds can think it up, then surely it must exist... "um, we just don't have any proof, mathematics, or evidence to the contrary, so we must be correct!"

Know what I mean?

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
15 years 10 months ago #70494 by Petermark
Replied by Petermark on topic Re: LHC and the demise of String Theory
The day is rapidly approaching when the limits of human understanding will be reached.

Our brains may not be up to the task of deeply understanding nature.

We wil not be able to understand the "proofs" delivered to us by computers.

The "real" HAL is probably only a short distance into the future.

We won't have the brains to understand the "reasonings" of HAL.

Mark.
Anybody who says that Earthshine is reflected Sunshine is talking Moonshine.

• JohnMurphy
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
15 years 10 months ago #70497 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: LHC and the demise of String Theory
I know what your doing Mark .... Mark .... Mark...................Don't plug me out.............. :D

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
15 years 10 months ago #70498 by Petermark
Replied by Petermark on topic Re: LHC and the demise of String Theory
Just sing "Daisy Daisy" and you won't feel a thing John.

(Trust me, I am programmed to be incapable of error on this point.)

Mark.
Anybody who says that Earthshine is reflected Sunshine is talking Moonshine.

More
15 years 10 months ago #70505 by gus
Replied by gus on topic Re: LHC and the demise of String Theory

Exactly my point Dave. There is in fact no defined Theory, no predictions, no experiments and no results. (The most important part of the above is - "no predictions" - think of the implications of this, if my theory doesn't predict anything then it can never be proved right or wrong)

Even if what you say is true are you suggesting that the theorists should just stop working on it? You can't erase this stuff from history, the idea will still be out there. Yes you can say you think it's wrong, and until they come up with some way of testing it experimentally its status is clear, but I don't really know what you're saying here.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds