Saturn - Webcam images

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
20 years 5 months ago #1025 by michaeloconnell
Saturn - Webcam images was created by michaeloconnell
I tried imaging saturn with my webcam last night.
Unfortunately, the night was a bit windy and the sky was a bit turbulent. Sirius could be see flickering from red to green like a set of Christmas lights, and as for the full moon...
Anyway, I took a few video clips and procesed them with Registax and Photoshop.
The first pic shown here is a bit grainy but just about shows the Encke division...anyone else able to see it or is it my imagination??

The second one is softened down a bit to make the image a bit smoother.

Hopefully I'll be able to get better pics with a clearer, steadier sky and Saturn closer to opposition.
Anyone else trying something similar??

Michael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 5 months ago #1072 by Paul Tipper
Replied by Paul Tipper on topic Re: Saturn - Webcam images
Nice pics, Michael. What sort of scope and eyepiece did you use to take these images?

Paul Tipper,
South Dublin Astro. Soc.

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
20 years 5 months ago #1075 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Saturn - Webcam images
Thanks Paul. I used my LX90 (8" f/10) , a Celestron Ultima 2x Barlow and a Philips ToUcam Pro webcam. I removed the lens from the webcam and inserted it straight into the barlow using a 35mm film canister sellotaped on. I recorded a 1min video clip @ 5fps (300 frames) with a program called Vega and then processed it in Registax V2. Final touchups for the second image were done in Photoshop. I'm still very much learning my way through this so hopefully over time my images will get a bit better. One of the hardest things of the whole thing I find is trying to get the perfect focus - a tiny difference in the turn of the focus makes a big difference to the final resultant image. Apparently there is another program for recording video clips - K3CCD i think it's called - which is supposed to be better than Vega. Having trouble getting it to recognise the webcam at the moment - must sit down some day and figure it out.
Regards,
Michael

More
20 years 5 months ago #1080 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Saturn - Webcam images

One of the hardest things of the whole thing I find is trying to get the perfect focus - a tiny difference in the turn of the focus makes a big difference to the final resultant image.

My scope is fairly shakey so focusing was impossible really! I got around it by buying a motor focuser and this helps a lot. www.jimsmobile.com/motofocus_data.htm

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
20 years 5 months ago #1084 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Saturn - Webcam images
For those who are interested in observing Saturn, Sky and Telescope have posted an interesting article on it.
skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/planets/article_304_1.asp
Well worth reading.
Michael

More
20 years 5 months ago #1088 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Saturn - Webcam images
Michael,
Some nice shots there, encke division is definitely there, unless you drew it in using photoshop :lol: :wink:
Looking forward to getting a few shot of it in the coming months now that Mars is history, I finally got my webcam to work on mars but its nothing but a small red fuzzy blob with dark markings here and there, no real detail.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds