K-Tec

Planets and Plutons - IAU Draft Definition

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 years 8 months ago #31780 by dmcdona

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 8 months ago #31782 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Planets and Plutons - IAU Draft Definition
Just had a read of that, seems logical enough to me, except for classifying charon as a planet. to me it should remain a satellite.

Cheers
Trevor

More
17 years 8 months ago #31783 by Neill
Replied by Neill on topic Pluto Status
Hi all,

In my view, its interesting, that they are keeping Pluto as a planet but at the same time making it separate from the classic planets with the new class of 'Plutons'. Creating this new class of plutons will allow for further planets to be found in the KB and the number will surely increase from 12 in time. Also the traditionalists probably didn't want Pluto to be demoted entirely from planetary status. Ironically Ceres used to be a planet in the 19th century when it was first discovered in 1801, but they discovered more and more of the same type of bodies, i.e. asteriods and Ceres was demoted from planetary status and now it could be back as a planet. What do others think?

Neill

More
17 years 8 months ago #31784 by voyager

Just had a read of that, seems logical enough to me, except for classifying charon as a planet. to me it should remain a satellite.

My thoughts exactly. By their own definition it shouldn't be because it orbits a planet!

Personally I think the plutons should not be planets. That would still give us 9 planets, just repalce Pluto with Ceres! :)

I like getting Ceres back as a planet. If all those small bodies way out can be plantes then Ceres should be too!

I'll reserve a more detailed response till we see how the voting goes.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
17 years 8 months ago #31788 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Planets and Plutons - IAU Draft Definition
To me this doesnt look good, a pluton ???
Maybe this is a short term measure with a view to eventually demoting all these pluton down to KBO status, they are just waiting for all the planet pluto diehards to push on??

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
17 years 8 months ago #31790 by Neill
Replied by Neill on topic Pluto
I do think that the proposal has holes in it. Pluto should have been declassified to a KBO, but that was never going to happen with so much sentinentality surrounding the issue. Pluto, Charon, Xena (UB313) etc are just larger KBOs and there should classified as such. Even with this Pluton classification, Charon is a satellite of Pluto and should not be a planet. Ceres as I said above used to be a planet but was demoted when numerous asteriods were discovered. They should called it at 8 planets with Pluto etc being classified as KBOs,IMO.

Neill

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds