K-Tec

Venus Transit Observations

More
19 years 10 months ago #3250 by John OBrien
Replied by John OBrien on topic Re: Venus Transit Observations
Hate to add to the misery but nothing here in Wicklow but very hazy skies :(

I can get a very dim fuzzy image of the sun through the scope but not a hint of detail.

2 hours to go - gowan you clouds get outa here!

"We are the music makers ... and we are the dreamers of dreams." - W.W.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 10 months ago #3251 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Venus Transit Observations
Just managed to get it on projection for about 2 minutes down here near Tullamore! stronger cloud cover is coming in alright. Its going too fast for me to get a photo yet though. I can cleatly see the 'dot' a few minutes ago!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 10 months ago #3252 by Seanie_Morris
Folks,

the latest from Tullamore:

it has just cleared for a few minutes, and I have just taken this picture about 2 minutes ago from time of post.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.

More
19 years 10 months ago #3253 by ei5fk
Replied by ei5fk on topic Nice views
Delighted, went to the airport site at 0805, everybody had left & gone home due to bad observing conditions, went to Eugene a friend in Douglas who had a telescope at his work, with both our telescopes we had several good views of Venus between cloud breaks, then went to my Fathers, saw the transit form there, then back home where I had nice views just before Venus met with the rim of the Sun, very satisfied, one photo taken by not so professional means, ill post it later, thank God I wont have to wait another 122 years of so to view this spectacle
Charles Coughlan

More
19 years 10 months ago #3255 by stepryan
Replied by stepryan on topic Re: Venus Transit Observations
well it is all over with done and dusted and all in all not too bad. got to see the venus about 8 times during the whole transit starting about 40 minutes after it began. it was amazing to watch it slowly creep across the disk. at least there was something to see through the heavy cloud in dublin. anyone else see it in dublin?.
stephen.

More
19 years 10 months ago #3256 by Seanie_Morris
From my last post at 10:20am, it clouded out completely. I went to Tullamore to my fiancee's brother's house who wanted to see it. It was completely clouded out there too!
That was untill the clouds parted at 12:18pm, and I managed to video and photograph Venus at last contact, and disappear from the sun's limb - FANTASTIC! And lucky too!

Full report and pictures will be on www.tullamoreastronomy.com later in the day.

Well done to everyone who made the effort despite bad weather in parts. It mostly seems to have been a successful event over much of the country! At least we got our look in for the next 130 years!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds