K-Tec

Venus Transit Observations

More
19 years 10 months ago #3257 by PMU
Replied by PMU on topic 10 minutes of transit
I got about 10 mins. worth just before 10.00am,until
the screw on the RA drive jammed against the RA lock lever.
Venus looked very big at 110.Best view at 50,in a 4"f 10 synta.
roll on 2012,june5.
pat murray

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 10 months ago #3258 by ei5fk
Replied by ei5fk on topic RTE coverage
Was that I.F.A.S I saw represented on the news just now for the transit of Venus, yuck of course it wasnt, I would have been pleasantly surprised had it been.
Whats wrong lads, missed out again or was it we dont know people in the right places or hav'nt paid them, I cant believe why we dont sell ourselves more publicly
Charles

More
19 years 10 months ago #3259 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Venus Transit Observations
hi everyone,

Good set up of telescopes in Sandymount from before 6am and Wally Mee had his hydrogen-alpha solar telescope which gave nice views. Cloudy at the beginning but then cleared sufficiently to let us see a lot of the event with just intermittent blank spells. A number of people stopped by throughout the morning -- I believe a few of the others moved on to Bray to get clearer conditions for the end of the transit.

Venus was also very easy naked-eye object with a number 14 grade welder's glass.

very nice in the Coronado binomites as well. Last view showed Venus as a notch on the limb of the Sun just after third contact.

other reports received;

Wexford:- Dermot Rafter and the Slaneyside Astronomers saw first and second contact with the famed "black drop" effect seen also. Images secured of the event which Dermot will send up.

Sicily, Italy:- spoke with Al White and he said it was cloudy yesterday but lovely clear spells for the transit -- halo seen around Venus (sunlight filtering through its atmosphere).

Madrid, Spain:- rang Paul Tipper (South Dublin A.S.) there and he has had lovely views at the observatory of a work colleague to the north of the city. Some thunderclouds building up so they might miss third contact. Black Drop lasted about three minutes . . . lots of digital images taken which he will have on his return to Ireland.

Rome, Italy:- Dan Lynch and Thomas Kinsella of South Dublin A.S. saw first and second contact at the Vatican but then signed off their text message with a cryptic "we've just been kicked out of the Vatican"!

Derek Buckley is watching it from the South of France but have not heard yet how he got on.

I think the naked-eye view really impressed me most because I was not really sure how visible it would be to us "eyeball only" observers. The black dot of the planet's silhouette was plainly seen by everyone with the welder's glass.

talk ltr,

John Flannery

More
19 years 10 months ago #3260 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Venus Transit Observations
We had agood turn out in Maynooth. We were set up inforont of the Physics building with a live feed from Holland projected on a screen inside for the times when we were clouded out. We had an ETX-90 with solar filter and we had a bigger telescope set up to project onto a screen.

We were mostly clouded out but there was a break in the coulds every 20 minutres or so so we got to see every stage clearly and for the last 20 minutes we had a prefect clear spell so we saw the Tear drop as well as the haze in the atmosphere and 3rd and 4th contact. Because we had the scopes set up on one of the main thuroughfares of the campus we had loads of people just stopping. Almost everyone had seen it on Sky news and just wanted to see it with their own eyes. Because we had the live hookup people hung around and waited for gaps in the clouds so I don't think anyone left un-happy.

All in all I am counting this as a success!

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
19 years 10 months ago #3261 by BrianOHalloran
Replied by BrianOHalloran on topic Re: Venus Transit Observations
Hi all.

We got a good bit of clear skies from around 11 am till midday - we managed to see 3rd contact, clouded up after that. All the pics are now up on the Dunsink webpage:

www.dunsink.dias.ie

Thank God the weather just about cooperated!!!

Brian

• galwayskywatchers
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 10 months ago #3263 by galwayskywatchers
Replied by galwayskywatchers on topic Galway Transit Event Report
In Galway we started observing at the Imbush Observatory at 6am under a partly cloudy sky but then just before 1st contact it clouded in and rained.After 7am we moved to the Tesco carpark. I think like us all club transit events were plagued with cloud but we did get several good breaks. We had 3 telescopes and Mike Redfern of NUIG brought along some really neat solar projectors he got in Spain, Clouds cleared just before 3rd contact gave us a final 10 minute burst. Overall 100 people attended, at least we saw it , even if not as much as we would have liked.

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds