K-Tec

C/2020 NEOWISE

More
3 years 9 months ago #109222 by Fermidox
Replied by Fermidox on topic C/2020 NEOWISE
The Comet continues to fade, similar to neighbouring mag 3.1 Talitha last night, but the dust tail is more apparent as it climbs into a darker sky, although looking north is actually my least favourable location with Limerick city glowing in the distance. I made it to be 12 degrees naked-eye, and the ion tail, which I didn't see naked eye, is up to 20 degrees on some of the images. The view through the 8-inch was remarkable; the coma looked almost transparent and I imagined I was seeing right through to the dark, rocky nucleus! Surely not but it was an arresting sight nonetheless. Comet NEOWISE has certainly been a memorable visitor.

Finbarr
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, mykc, flt158, Until_then-Goodnight!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Evans
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 9 months ago #109223 by Paul Evans
Replied by Paul Evans on topic C/2020 NEOWISE
Hi All, Got to see NEOWISE again last night, much fainter than a week ago - closer to mag 3 now - and sky a bit hazy so some LP being thrown back, but got a nice stack of images using a Sony A65 DSLT and Minolta 135mm f2.8 lens. I got what I wanted, which was the ion tail :)

Hoping for another crack at it tonight!

Clear skies,

Paul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, mykc, flt158, Fermidox, Until_then-Goodnight!

More
3 years 9 months ago #109229 by JohnONeill
Replied by JohnONeill on topic C/2020 NEOWISE from across the Atlantic etc
Hi,
Glad to see Ireland got a stretch of fine weather and I enjoyed all the great images posted here.

Despite the indifferent weather on this side of the Atlantic, I got some nice observations of Comet NEOWISE 2020 F3. When low in twilight I made it 2nd magnitude, but it is now 3rd magnitude. With averted vision I made the tail length 6 degrees with the naked-eye.  All observations done from a suburban area 30 km N of Boston.

The photo attached was done with a 200 mm lens on a small tracking mount. It showed the contrast between the yellow dust tail and the (faint) blue ion tail. It was done in a neighbours yard, as the trees blocked the view from my observatory. I also got a shot on it above Topsfield Town Hall. See my website: variablestarnights.net

By the way, I did manage to observe the minor penumbral lunar eclipse earlier in the month. I needed the 12x36 IS binoculars to tell any difference (a slight shading to the north of Mare Imbrium).  Again, my website has a photo.

Good observing and keep safe,
John
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, mykc, flt158, Fermidox, Until_then-Goodnight!

More
3 years 9 months ago #109232 by Fermidox
A couple more from last night to whet the appetite for tonight... comet with aeroplane and close-up -

Finbarr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, lunartic_old, flt158, Until_then-Goodnight!

More
3 years 9 months ago #109236 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic C/2020 NEOWISE
Good evening, Finbarr.
Do you think you could tell us what the designation of that star is to the right of Comet Neowise's nucleus?

No pressure then!

Best regards from Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Until_then-Goodnight!

More
3 years 9 months ago #109238 by Fermidox
No problem Aubrey, that's Talitha - iota Ursa Majoris.  Just ½ a degree from NEOWISE at the time.

Finbarr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158, Until_then-Goodnight!

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds