K-Tec

C/2020 NEOWISE

More
3 years 9 months ago #109164 by Fermidox
Replied by Fermidox on topic C/2020 NEOWISE
It's a superb sight Darren. Easily visible naked eye, but the view through binoculars was exceptional. I would estimate magnitude 2 by comparison with the star Menkalinan, and a tail length of around 2 degrees. That exposure is 9 seconds at 55mm, cropped. Certainly the best comet I've seen since Hale-Bopp 23 years ago. Hope you get good views from Dublin tonight. Here's another shot -

Finbarr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, lunartic_old, Paul Evans, flt158, Until_then-Goodnight!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #109165 by BrianOHalloran
Replied by BrianOHalloran on topic C/2020 NEOWISE
Finally got proper clear skies to observe NEOWISE in, after a couple of attempts where cloud blocked off the wrong bit of sky!

A very easy naked eye object from rural Waterford (on the Copper Coast, near Annestown): ~5 deg long tail was obvious to the naked eye before moonlight drowned it out. Glorious in binoculars and my 8" SCT as well. Mag was about ~2.0, DC of 7.

Did some very basic smartphone astrophotography of it: wasn't bad at all for a first attempt at trying to image a comet. Treated to a spectacular NLC display as well!

A spectacular night, overall.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by BrianOHalloran.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, lunartic_old, Paul Evans, flt158, Fermidox, Until_then-Goodnight!

More
3 years 9 months ago #109166 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic C/2020 NEOWISE
Wow what super shots and reports guys, thanks for posting them.

im going to try for it tonight, finally have a chance of clear skies !

Keith..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Evans, flt158, Fermidox, Until_then-Goodnight!

More
3 years 9 months ago #109168 by Fermidox
Replied by Fermidox on topic C/2020 NEOWISE
Here's one more from this morning, the Comet battling NLCs at 3.47am -

Finbarr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keith g, michael_murphy, lunartic_old, Paul Evans, flt158, Until_then-Goodnight!

More
3 years 9 months ago #109169 by Keith g
Well done again Finbarr, I saw it too at 3.25am, what a beautiful sight as it was in between bright noctilucent clouds, and in binoculars it seemed like a baby comet Hale-Bopp

Keith..
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158, Fermidox

More
3 years 9 months ago #109170 by Keith g
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158, Fermidox, Until_then-Goodnight!

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds