K-Tec

Observations 16 February 2020

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #109964 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Observations 16 February 2020 was created by Until_then-Goodnight!
Hi All,

I hope everyone is keeping well.

Before the rain last night, I managed to have a look at a few nice objects through my 10 X 50 binoculars. First up was the constellation of Orion. M42 was observed, but I found it difficult to make out the four main stars in the Trapezium.

Up next was the Haydes. It looks beautiful with the wider FOV. Likewise M45, which was the next target, benefits greatly from the wider the FOV that a pair of binoculars offer. I remember reading somewhere that the 'Seven Sisters' look like a little shopping trolley full of stars through a pair of 10 X 50s - and it is hard to disagree. That group of stars never fails to impress, and last night was no different.

The nicest object I observed last night was the Moon. Not only did it display a gorgeous earthshine, but the slim crescent Moon also had a pretty 4.4 magnitude star next to it. According to Stellarium the star was V Piscium (nu Piscium). With a colour index (B.V.) of 1.36 this variable star displays a nice orange / red splash of colour.

For these reasons, I decided that I would attempt to sketch the Moon, and V Piscium. So I set up the scope, went inside to listen to the Astronomy Show while the mirror cooled, but by 20;30UT the clouds rolled in and rain was not far off. Moral of the story: got to make the most the slightest hint of a clear sky at the moment as they are few and far between.

I wonder if anyone else caught a glimpse of that nice Moon last night.

Clear skies to all,

Darren.
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Until_then-Goodnight!.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, Paul Evans, flt158

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #109965 by Fermidox
Replied by Fermidox on topic Observations 16 February 2020
All the times I've looked at the Pleiades and said to myself 'it reminds me of some familiar object...' and now you've solved it Darren - a trolley full of stars. Perfect!

Clear skies,
Finbarr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158, Until_then-Goodnight!

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #109966 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Replied by Until_then-Goodnight! on topic Observations 16 February 2020
Morning Finbarr,

Many thanks for your message. Asterisms are great fun to pick out. Bootes has some good ones, so I'm looking forward seeing them again over the coming months. 

Clear skies, 

Darren. 
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Until_then-Goodnight!.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158, Fermidox

More
3 years 2 months ago #109967 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Observations 16 February 2020
Hi Darren

Certainly a great description, reading that, how many of us will never see it as anything different in the future?

Asterisms are a fun aspect of the hobby, here is a great list for anyone who is interested:
www.astroleague.org/content/asterism-observing-program

I have managed to complete the list, some are obscure and difficult to make out, the Gas Pump for example.  Others such as Little Orion and the 37 cluster are what they claim to be.  My favourite, and is visible at the moment, is the Cheshire Cat in Auriga, easily tracked down with binoculars.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158, Until_then-Goodnight!

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
3 years 2 months ago #109970 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Replied by Until_then-Goodnight! on topic Observations 16 February 2020
Hi Paul, 

Many thanks for your message, and for providing that link - I must check it out.

I recently saw a sketch of the number 37 asterism, and thought to myself 'I must check that out', but the Cheshire cat one sounds like an even more delightful one. And speaking of delightful ones. I remember that Aubrey described seeing a group of stars like one of those old type of ice-cream sellers. For the life me, I can't remember where in the night sky that asterism might be found. Maybe we can all go looking for it the next time we get to meet-up. Sounds like another brilliant one. 

Clear skies, 

Darren. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

• flt158
  • Away
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
3 years 2 months ago #109974 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Observations 16 February 2020
I remember where that ice cream lady is, Darren.
It is otherwise called Upgren 1 which is in Canis Venatici.
The location is of this open cluster is quite near Alpha Canum.
Therefore strictly speaking it is not really an asterism.

Clear skies (When?)

Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Until_then-Goodnight!

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds