K-Tec

Four from last night

• paulevans
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 2 months ago #41182 by paulevans
Four from last night was created by paulevans
Had a good session last night with my SLR variously attached to the top or side of my 6" reflector - piggybacked with 135mm f2.8 lens when on top.

Here's M44..

M35

The Double Cluster

And inevitably M42 - sadly the focus isn't spot on here

Clear skies,

Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 2 months ago #41185 by SunCrazy
Replied by SunCrazy on topic Re: Four from last night
I think they are great, Paul. :D I really like the 3rd one of the Double Cluster.

I saw it was a very nice clear sky out there last night...but the darn flue has me attached to the couch at the moment :cry:

More
17 years 2 months ago #41188 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Four from last night
Paul,

You've got good focus there - something which I find difficult to get with SLR lenses. That focal length is good for imaging large areas of the sky. Unfortunately, the lens seems to be creating a little blue ring around some of the stars. Fine images all the same. I also quite like the double cluster image as it shows up the red stars to create a lovely colourful effect. Great work! Keep it up!!

Have fun,

More
17 years 2 months ago #41191 by Matthew C
Replied by Matthew C on topic Re: Four from last night
Paul those images are Grrrrrrreat!(tony)I specially like the third pic of the doucle cluster! I would love to know what exposure they were taken with!

P.s if you run m42 through neat image or something llike that it will get rid of the 'grains'(noise)!

Well done,
Matt

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. . . .
T. S. Eliot
A wise man....

More
17 years 2 months ago #41201 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Four from last night
Good going Paul, seems like the lens is giving blue halos to the stars, photoshop can be used to reduce these.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• paulevans
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 2 months ago #41204 by paulevans
Replied by paulevans on topic Re: Four from last night
Thanks guys! Yes, the 135mm is an excellent lens but it is most definitely an achromat and this does show with the blue haloes.

Focussing with this lens is easy as it is one of those old-fashioned models that is a precision piece of engineering where turning the ring to its endstop is infinity focus! Why they don't make them like that any more is beyond me.

Most of those exposures were 20 secs at f2.8 ISO 1600 with between 5 and 8 images stacked in Registax 4 and either black level adjustment or dark frame subtraction used to reduce the LP which is a bit of problem here in Larne with the Port security lighting to contend with as well as the normal sodium glow.

P.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds