• johnflannery
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 1 month ago #41966 by johnflannery
Shape of the Earth's shadow was created by johnflannery
Hi all,

Fantastic pictures from everyone. Well done!

The sky misted up during the partial phase and by totality it was very hard to see the Moon with the unaided eye. The overall impression was of an enlarged Mars complete with Polar Cap.

The 10x50 binoculars showed up the colour well enough but probably not as good as under a clear sky.

What struck me though was the asymmetrical shape of the Earth's shadow during the partial phase. In the 10x50s the shadow sloped gently up from the right limb (with a slight notch in the shadow at the limb itself) and beyond the centre part it sloped back towards the left limb at a slightly steeper angle. It'd probably be better to do up a diagram of what I saw so will try and scan something later in the week.

Anyone else spot anything unusual about the shadow????

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 1 month ago #41972 by jeyjey
Replied by jeyjey on topic Re: Shape of the Earth's shadow
John --

Sorry to hear about your weather. Up in Louth the high clouds and water vapor didn't roll in until about 20min after midnight (when the moon was coming out from the shadow).

I didn't note any odd shape to the shadow, but I did find it interesting that the Earth's shadow entered at a position angle of about 7 o'clock, yet after totality the moon brightened first at a position angle of about 10 o'clock. I would have expected the shadow to traverse more linerally, but I guess the movement between the 3 bodies is more complicated even over an hour or so than one would expect.

(Oh, and even under clear skies the Mars impression -- complete with polar cap -- was quite striking.)

-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

More
17 years 1 month ago #41973 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Shape of the Earth's shadow
Jeff,
the reason for the positions for entering and leaving the shadow at those positions is because the moon did not pass through the center of the umbra, it passed through the left hand side of it.
The Mars effect was amazing especially then leaving the umbra.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
17 years 1 month ago #41982 by jeyjey
Replied by jeyjey on topic Re: Shape of the Earth's shadow
Dave --

Ah... makes sense. How wide is the shadow? Would I have needed to go to Galway or somewhere like the Canary islands to get the full effect?
Or was it that the Earth/Sun/Moon positioning wasn't completely lined up?

-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

More
17 years 1 month ago #41983 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Shape of the Earth's shadow

How wide is the shadow? Would I have needed to go to Galway or somewhere like the Canary islands to get the full effect?
Or was it that the Earth/Sun/Moon positioning wasn't completely lined up?

-- Jeff.

Hi Jeff,
I found on the net that the widest part of the Earth's shadow at the point that the Moon crosses it is 16,782km. To have seen a conentric (right word?) lunar eclipse, you would have had to be about midway into the Atlantic from our latitude. People much further east of us would have seen a partial phase - the upper right of the Moon from their perspective would have been in 'daylight'. Likewise, people west of America would have seen the lower left of the Moon in 'daylight' as a pertial eclipse.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• paulevans
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 1 month ago #41984 by paulevans
Replied by paulevans on topic Re: Shape of the Earth's shadow
This one here, taken at 2223 GMT shows that the cone of the Earth's umbra had a bluish outer section and a copper inner section. I don't think the NW part of the Moon ever completely cleared the bluish section.

Clear skies,

Paul.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds