KAC observing report 12-13th January

• ftodonoghue
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
16 years 3 months ago #59512 by ftodonoghue
KAC observing report 12-13th January was created by ftodonoghue
Kac held an observing session on 12-13th jan. A small crowd turned up and we had four telescopes, all dobs, 8" 8.75" 10" and 12".

Initially we showed some of the highlights to the beginners and some kids so we stopped by M42, aurigan and gemini clusters, m31, m81 and 82 and of course holmes was viewed in binoculars and scopes. Also looked at M1 and M78.

Also had a look at mars, one young boy whose first time it was looking through a scope told me that

"mars is displaying all it s characteristics, its redy yellow coulour is caused by iron oxide"... :o

Eventually some of the beginners drifted away and we managed to take in a few of the delights in orion, Monoceros and puppis between the clouds and haze.

Paddy Stack pointed out ngc 2362 low down in canis major which was a beautiful cluster and well worth finding.

Managed to spot the flame nebula in orion and had a hunt for the horsehead in moments of good clarity later in the night, but no luck. Am using an 8" but am convinced that I will eventually see it when conditions are perfect.
We also spent a good bit of time on mars and enjoyed some fine views when the air steadied, tried lots of filters, but found the deep red and blue gave the best result. A quick look at saturn really showed how much the rings had closed up since i observed it last.

All in all it was great to get back out under the stars again tracking down old friends and some new dso's (it had been months since I had a decent observing session)

Cheers
Trevor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #59513 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: KAC observing report 12-13th January
That sounds like a great night Trevor,
Did the dark red filter show the Martian dark features more clearly ?

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
16 years 3 months ago #59532 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re: KAC observing report 12-13th January
Sounds like your Psychic abilities have foretold a great night ahead tonight 12th/13th. I was sure it was going to be wet and cloudy tonight. Maybe I should get my scope out ready for the clear skies that are foretold!! :D :D BTW, what were the winning lotto numbers for tonight the 12th?? :D I thought your were an astronomer not an astrologer! :D

Kidding!

Sounds like a great night. SDAS had a good night up the wicklow mountains on 11th/12th too!!

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

• ftodonoghue
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
16 years 3 months ago #59699 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: KAC observing report 12-13th January

That sounds like a great night Trevor,
Did the dark red filter show the Martian dark features more clearly ?

It seemed to alright, although It took a bit of getting used to seeing a VERY red disc. the blue filter was much more pleasing on the eye. Mars still doesn't float my boat I am afraid although it was nice to see some suface markings

Sounds like your Psychic abilities have foretold a great night ahead tonight 12th/13th. I was sure it was going to be wet and cloudy tonight. Maybe I should get my scope out ready for the clear skies that are foretold!!

:oops:

Cheers
Trevor

More
16 years 3 months ago #59712 by mjs
Yes we had a good night. It was great to get out again.

We also got to see the other comet 8P/Tuttle, low in the southwest and the zodiacal light.

More
16 years 3 months ago #59717 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: KAC observing report 12-13th January

We also got to see the other comet 8P/Tuttle, low in the southwest and the zodiacal light.

Naked eye or via an instrument? I hang my head in shame when I say I haven't seen it yet. :?

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds