• Bill_H
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 8 months ago #14712 by Bill_H
Help needed. was created by Bill_H
Hi all,
I'm confused, either my astrostar software has some serious mistakes or I'm complettely mis-understanding the astronomical meanings. For example; M57 is listed as being 1.3 arc minutes in size, while C6 is listed as 22.0 arc minutes. I need a 3X Barlow to get C6 (Cats Eye) to look a reasonable size in my scope or on the CD chip, but with M57 (Ring Nebula) I manage a pretty good sized image, both visually, and on the CD chip without a Barlow. Am I understanding these sizes properly. My understanding is that C6 should be much larger tha M57, as it is covering more arc-minutes of sky than M57.
Can someone explain if the software is wrong, or is my understanding wrong?
Bill H.

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 8 months ago #14721 by jhonan
Replied by jhonan on topic Re: Help needed.

Hi all,
I'm confused, either my astrostar software has some serious mistakes or I'm complettely mis-understanding the astronomical meanings. For example; M57 is listed as being 1.3 arc minutes in size, while C6 is listed as 22.0 arc minutes.

I think C6 is something closer to 22 arc SECONDS (Magnitude 8,3 - Size 22" x 16")

Here's a site which has photos and sizes of M57 and C6 so you can compare side-by-side;

home.planet.nl/~onielsen/ccd/pn-summer.html

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

• Bill_H
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 8 months ago #14723 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: Help needed.
Hi jhonan, thanks for that, I thought I had my understanding wrong. Looks like Meade need to get their homework done and rewrite their software. Quite appalling really. I checked those figures again and it definately says 1.3 minutes for M57 and 22.0 minutes for C6, it also claims 27.0 minutes for C15, whereas your link says 27 seconds.
Meade, I've lost my faith in you, time to scrub it and pay more attention to starry night pro.
Bill.

More
18 years 8 months ago #14725 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Help needed.
Hi Bill - I don't bother with the Meade Autostar suite. I use SNpro but even that is awash with errors, though probably not as many as Meade's.

TheSky seems to be the best choice, or use Aladin (on line and you probably need broadband :cry: )

Cheers

Dave

More
18 years 8 months ago #14726 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Help needed.
hi Bill,

a comprehensive catalogue of deep sky objects (and double stars) is available from the Saguaro Astronomy Club. Their downloads are at . . .

www.saguaroastro.org/content/downloads.htm

each file can be imported into a spreadsheet type program just be delimiting column separators. The databases are the templates used by a number of astronomy software vendors and considered quite reliable.

John

• Bill_H
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 8 months ago #14728 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: Help needed.

TheSky seems to be the best choice, or use Aladin (on line and you probably need broadband :cry: )
Cheers
Dave

:cry: :cry:
Thanks everyone.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds