big binoculars - opinions wanted

• ftodonoghue
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
18 years 7 months ago #15846 by ftodonoghue
big binoculars - opinions wanted was created by ftodonoghue
I will be in the states in a month and am going to pick up a cheap set of big binos...I was going to opt for the celestron skymaster 15X70 @ $70 but then I stumbled accross barska 20X80 for $100
www.opticsplanet.net/barska-x-trail-20x80-binoculars.html

Has anybody heard of these, and if so will they provide reasonable views, I appreciate that for the money they wont be excellent but if I can get an extra 30% light gathering for each eye for an extra $20, will it be worth it. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
Trevor

Cheers
Trevor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 7 months ago #15847 by Arclight
Replied by Arclight on topic Re: big binoculars - opinions wanted
Hi Trevor

Points that I would raise in regard to Big Binoculars in general and these in particular would be.........

To the best of my knowledge most of the Big binoculars in the world are manufactured by Kunming Optical in China and are then re-branded and sold through out the world by others (Oberwerks in the US, Strathsprey in the UK Telescope-Service in Germany etc) - Other companies have then reverse-engineered them to produce their own lines.

The descriptions of the Barska-x-trail reads identically to descriptions of Kunning's Big Bins but I do see that a pair of Oberwerks on the same site are going for €100.00 more (& they are the lightweight version) and I also see a similarily sized pair of Zhumells for $140.00

It says they are ideal for outdoor and sporting events - but at 58oz you are going to need a tripod and I cant think of many sporting events where these would be usable apart from sailing............. or watching a rugby match in Lansdowne rd from a crane in Blackrock. Likewise I don't think I would be going for a leisurely Sunday afternoon stroll carrying these on the off chance I want to have a closer look at something as portable they aint!

I would suggest recommend that you trawl www.cloudynights.com to see if anyone there has either actual experience of that product / manufacturer or can give you another opinion on these.............

Arclight :wink:

More
18 years 7 months ago #15848 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: big binoculars - opinions wanted
some info on the cloudynights forum Trevor . . .

www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat...d/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

and binocular reviews at . . .

www.cloudynights.com/category.php?category_id=48&pr=2

go for the 20x80s if poss as you'll be amazed at how much that little bit extra gives you in deep sky viewing and even the planets (seen Saturn's rings in my 20x binos many times . . . albeit while the rings are wide open).

what part of the US are you going to btw? Check online what dealers might be in the particular area you are visiting.

John

More
18 years 7 months ago #15860 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Hi guys, Like you Trevor, I'm looking for some big binos also, but can any of you tell me what is the field of view on these. It states:

Field of view: 189 ft@1000yds
How many degrees is this?
Thanks, Keith.

More
18 years 7 months ago #15862 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: big binoculars - opinions wanted
Keith,

I could be totally wrong but here's my guess:

189ft = 63 yards

100yards radius has a circumference of 2 x pi x r = 2x3.142x1000 = 6284

63/6284 = 0.01

0.01*360degrees = 3.6 degrees

i.e at a radius of 1000yards, you can see a width of 189ft...make sense?

Clear skies,

More
18 years 7 months ago #15863 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
I think you have it right Michael! :D How did you calculate that? :shock:

It's all new to me, but i have a pair of 9x60mm binos, it states on them 275ft at 1000yards, thats 5.2 degrees! exactly the same as i'd expect :D

3.6 degrees it is then - spot on!

Thanks,
Keith.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds