• ftodonoghue
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
18 years 5 months ago #18062 by ftodonoghue
My finished dob 8"F5 was created by ftodonoghue
Hi all

I finally finished (sort of) my dob. Months later and after a slight problem with the secondary(I ruined it), I eventualy finished. I know I promised a few pics months ago, but better late than never, so here you go. I just need to put a new wider base underneath it, and a couple of supports on the side of the dob to strengten it up, as the mount itself is tall

and some more pics here
www.framecommunications.com/images/insidetube.jpg

www.framecommunications.com/images/focuser.jpg

www.framecommunications.com/images/homemadecell.jpg

It may not be the prettiest dob in the world but it works, had a look at the moon and mars the night before last and was impressed with it. Roll on dark, clear skies

Cheers
Trevor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 5 months ago #18065 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: My finished dob 8"F5
Nice work Trevor, well done! have you used it astronomically yet i.e. given it a good test run? Where did you get your mirrors from?

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• ftodonoghue
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
18 years 5 months ago #18066 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: My finished dob 8"F5
Hi Seanie

I have not given it a good test run yet,just the moon and mars night before last, I was impressed. I managed to push the power quite high on the moon and still maintain a crisp image. I got the mirrors from scopes n skies in the uk.. www.scopesnskies.com/
I am looking forward to getting out under a dark sky and giving it a good run.

Cheers
Trevor

More
18 years 5 months ago #18068 by MarkCahill
Replied by MarkCahill on topic Re: My finished dob 8"F5
Trevor,

Where did you get the plans for it or did you design it yourself ??
Also do you have the plans or a build document ???
How much did it all cost ????
How portable is it ???
The reason for all the question's that I would love to build an 8 inch myself and I am slowly but surely building up the courage.
I think you have inspired me to take the plunge !!!!

Mark.

More
18 years 5 months ago #18070 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: My finished dob 8"F5
Mark,
one remark I would say to your post, and I'm sure Trevor can back me up on this, is that its not that hard to do! Time is the problem. If you are good with DIY tools and can affordably get all the raw materials, then there's no stopping you!

Trevor,
it would be nice if you have kept a project book of your endeavour. I have one from when I made my first scope as a Leaving Cert project. It was part of the Construction Studies course to actually do a write -up of one's project, but it is nice to show off to people as inspiration for others who may also want to build a scope. I recommend spending more time doing up a project book if not done already! Folks like Mark could find it invaluable than most hardback, 100+ paged, off-the-shelf telescope making books!

Seanie.
(builder of 2 X 8" reflectors)

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• ftodonoghue
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
18 years 5 months ago #18076 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: My finished dob 8"F5
MARK
I did not follow any plans to the letter, I had a look around at what was available on the internet and adapted a plan I found on the sidewalk astronomers website. It can be found here.
members.aol.com/sfsidewalk/cdobplans.htm

I also used different plans for making the cell for the primary mirror
something similar is here www.glpbooks.com/oyb/roscope/pri_cell.html
I dont know where I got the exact plan but the final product is as above.

The mirrors, secondary mount, spider, focuser, a X2 antares barlow and a 10mm plossl was £200 including shipping to Ireland, throw in another 40 or €50 for the ply and bits and pieces and you are looking at around €350 for scope, barlow and 10 mm plossl. I still need to add some sort of a finder to the scope.

The scope is quite heavy, as it is made out of thick wavin pipe,and the side bearings are steel and v heavy. (I might change these). I made the base tall, to avoid bending over a lot when viewing, but I can fit the lot into my micra, so it is portable.

One final note, is that you can now get an 8” dob for about 200 sterling so I would look into this option before you go down the road of building, but as Seanie said, it is not hard. If I can manage it then anyone who can use a saw and screwdriver will manage fine.

If you go down this route then you will find lots of help here, as i did. I will do all I can and hopefully help smooth the way.

SEANIE
you are right about a project book. I should really begin to get one together. I remember that as I was making scope there were a few handy pointers that I should have written down. Hopefully they will come back to me

Cheers
Trevor

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds