dobsonian advise

• briano
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 5 months ago #18353 by briano
dobsonian advise was created by briano
I am thinking about getting a 12" revelation dobsonian from telescope house, does anyone know how good or bad it is :?: www.telescopehouse.co.uk/page.aspx?point...mp;thelang=001lngdef

Also would it be possible to mount the dob on an equatorial mount in the future for imaging :?: :idea:

Brian O Leary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 5 months ago #18366 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: dobsonian advise
Brian - dunno about the pedigree of the OTA but you'll need a pretty hefty GEM for it. And tube rings, pier etc.

If imaging is your ultimate goal, you can get a good motorised dob mount for about 3 or 4000 dollars. Alternatively, sell the dob when you're ready to take the imaging plunge.

Cheers

Dave

More
18 years 5 months ago #18394 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: dobsonian advise
John O'Neil (johnno) from Kildare AS has the 12". I was with him one nights observing, and, needless to say, it gives a very impressive image and performance for the price! I'm looking forward to getting one myself, and probably going like you Brian, mounting it on an EQ-type mount.

Seanie

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 5 months ago #19126 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: dobsonian advise
I 'll just add to that, that I used to have a 12.5" reflector. Initially it was dob mounted but of course I eventually wanted it on an EQ mount. I bought a Skywatcher EQ6 which in itself was a beast of a thing. Even with a massive mount like that it wasn't quite up to the weight of a 12". I reckon you'd need something like an Skywatcher Atlas mount at minimum. This aint gonna be cheap. Also dont underestimate the size and weight of a combo like that. Your not going to be lumping that outside on a whim.

Otherwise I've heard very good things about the revelation scopes.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
18 years 5 months ago #19131 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: dobsonian advise

Even with a massive mount like that it wasn't quite up to the weight of a 12". I reckon you'd need something like an Skywatcher Atlas mount at minimum.

The OTA on the Revelation 12" is not that heavy actually! Looks can be deceiving! The EQ6 might actually be perfect for the job!

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• DaveGrennan
More
18 years 5 months ago #19171 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: dobsonian advise
I dont think weight is the issue. I think the issue is gonna be the large volume of the scope wobbling about the center of mass. At least thats what I found.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds