K-Tec

Mold and mildew

More
18 years 4 months ago #20360 by jeyjey
Mold and mildew was created by jeyjey
I've lately noticed some mildew growing on the lower walls of my observatory. The scope (an SCT) is at second floor level, which appears to be a bit drier, but I'm still concerned about mold and/or mildew getting on the corrector or mirror.

Do others routinely have mildew growing in their observatories? What do you do to protect the optics?

Thanks,
-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 4 months ago #20363 by Matthew C
Replied by Matthew C on topic Re: Mold and mildew
Dew Shields? Not too sure but they definitely reduce dew! You can get hard and soft material dew shields! What size is your scope?
Matthew C

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. . . .
T. S. Eliot
A wise man....

More
18 years 4 months ago #20364 by jeyjey
Replied by jeyjey on topic Re: Mold and mildew

Dew Shields? Not too sure but they definitely reduce dew! You can get hard and soft material dew shields! What size is your scope?
Matthew C

Matthew --

I've got a dew shield on order. (I also keep my dew heater on low even when not observing, so I guess I'm more concerned about the main mirror than the corrector.) Scope's a 16" LX200GPS.

Thanks,
-- Jeff.

Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130

More
18 years 4 months ago #20367 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Mold and mildew
oh boy, keep that mildew away from the corrector, :shock:
It can actually eat into the anti-reflective coatings and is impossible to get off without damaging the glass. Same applies to putting the cover over the front of the scope if the plate/lens is dued over, NEVER put the cover on the front of a dewed up scope, wait until the next morning to let the dew evaporate.

The mirror is fairly protected especially if you use something like a skylight 1A "filter" to seal the tube.

As for mildrew on concrete wall, might this be a sign of rising damp?, I'm not a construction person, so I really dont know?

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 4 months ago #20368 by Matthew C
Replied by Matthew C on topic Re: Mold and mildew
Wow! A Fine piece of equipment! I know of some one in the states that a keeps a dehumidifier going 24/7 in his observatory! A bit extra on the old electricity bill but if it does the job, so what!
Matthew C

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. . . .
T. S. Eliot
A wise man....

More
18 years 4 months ago #20381 by jeyjey
Replied by jeyjey on topic Re: Mold and mildew

As for mildrew on concrete wall, might this be a sign of rising damp?, I'm not a construction person, so I really dont know?

Dave --

Generally, I would think so. But the walls are timber-framed, and sit on top of a ring of torch-on-felt. The concrete pad also has a damp-proof course under it, so I would think I'd be well-protected against rising damp.

On the outside of the plywood is a layer of roofing felt, expanded metal, and sand and cement plaster. Of course, there are a bunch of holes in the felt made by the screws holding the expanded metal on -- I wonder if I'm getting water penetration through the plaster and holes in the felt? But that doesn't seem very likely either....

-- Jeff.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds