K-Tec

Telescopes (Meade ETX 70 & Skylux) in Lidl Monday 22nd N

More
19 years 5 months ago #5926 by orions neb
Hi all.

I think most of you have me hanged already without evidence to proof my story wrong. You know…it took courage for me to come on here and say what I thought of it all…it wasn’t easy. I knew I would get feed back about it and I was prepared for it.

So ok my opinion don’t count for anything by the sound of it…..that’s ok to, whether it’s a Meade or not I will still stick by my opinion. And not once did I say anything about lidls reputation. I was only saying about the scope and how lidls managed to secure a batch of them when other places cant. Also I mentioned in one of my post in advance that someone will twist my words around…..well that has also been done.

Its been said that Meade might be more or less getting rid of old stock…..does this mean lidls is in line for all Meade products that are old stock? And as for the advice about not buying scopes from department stores and so on its plain to see that doesn’t count anymore either. After all this is what ive been on about and you see it differently to me its like an exception has been made this time because it’s a Meade? Next week they could offer another scope which wont be branded and someone will want advice about it…are you gonna tell them to keep away from such scopes? Practice what you preach make no exceptions because of a name there is a lot of would be astronomers out there that need guiding and look for your help……things like this don’t do any justice to astronomy it just violates what the pros have been saying for years!!

I shall wait for more replies to my posts and see what else your gonna throw at me for being honest. Ive also checked a couple of websites on this forum…..they also mention what ive been saying,

I go now and prepare for my sentence Monday morning…..hopefully I will be innocent!!

Orion

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 5 months ago #5927 by dave_lillis

And as for the advice about not buying scopes from department stores and so on its plain to see that doesn’t count anymore either.

I wouldn't touch 99.9% of the telescopes in chemists or department stores, and that is what I say to all our new members.

But if I see a reputable make and a known model at a very good price?

This scopes is no tasco, I own a meade a celestron and a tasco and only one of these scopes has a plastic tube and a crap so-called viewfinder!
but lets not get carried away, its not a Teleview Ranger 70 ($600) either.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 5 months ago #5928 by dmcdona
Orion - I think you are misreading what is being posted here.

No-one is 'hanging' you - not even close! I think I speak for most people here - your input *is* appreciated, you opinions *are* appreciated and they most certainly do account for something. You have made some very good points - it just so happens that this time round, some people don't fully agree with you. C'est la vie! But I really do hope that your current experience doesn't put you (or anyone else on this board) off posting your opinions.

And those that don't agree with you have supported their alternative opinions with corroborating evidence. So they haven't been twisting your words around at all.

If Lidl offer a no-name, unbranded scope on Tuesday, I think you would find that pretty much all the posters on this board would strongly advise against anyone buying it.

I also think the current Lidl offer is probably a one-off unique event for the reasons other posters have stated.

And by the way, if it turns out to be great scope, I don't think anyone here will be posting a message to you. And if the scope turns out to be useless, then there'll be rather alot of humble pie on the Monday night dinner menu. :shock:

Dave

More
19 years 5 months ago #5929 by albertw

I think most of you have me hanged already without evidence to proof my story wrong.

What? No I think most people agree with you in principle about buying junk scopes.

In this particular case lidl are selling once scope that I own and can tell you that its of reasonable quality. The other has a proven track record and its well known that Meade are upgrading the line and would want to offload the stock before it becomes a liability. Lidl are selling it at the equivalent of 220 US dollars, it retails for 299 US dollars so its not being sold dirt cheap in a global context.

Once again, I agree with you in general about junkscopes. I just think this is an exception.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
19 years 5 months ago #5930 by eclipsedan
Yawn.

I got the Skylux last year on the recommendation of those here and elsewhere. It's a great scope for viewing the moon and sun (with filter). It can also do a very good job with many of the easier objects to see in the sky.

To Cathy:

I'd recommend it to any beginner. (In fact many of the budding astronomers in Gonzaga are getting one). For €60, it's simply impossible to go wrong. Of course, I *know* it's a great scope and it happily sits beside my 9" Dob. Unless you really want the motor or for portability issues, I suggest it. But get a decent eyepiece.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a good scope for eclipse-chasing. I'll also pick up the Meade to share between viewing and photographing. Totality time is very precious.

To the doubters:

Indeed, I'd never buy a junk scope but in this case the reviews [and experiences] are already out there. If that's not enough for you, then go off and buy an expensive scope. And enjoy it.

Do, or don't. It's very, very simple.

More
19 years 5 months ago #5931 by jhonan
Tell you what - Here's the answer:

Don't buy one from Lidl. Wait until January and get a copy of Buy and Sell. You'll see loads of ETX70s for sale for €90 .... :lol:

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds