K-Tec

Telescopes (Meade ETX 70 & Skylux) in Lidl Monday 22nd N

More
19 years 5 months ago #5958 by Liam
Replied by Liam on topic The Lidl Issue!!!
To orions neb,

I am a nightly reader of this forum and discussion threads. It is a fantastic facility for astronomers at all levels and it is only through communication and discussion that we all move forward and learn so that we can enjoy our hobby more.

I have been reading with interest the debate regarding the Lidl Scopes and I have made a few comments earlier.

I can see that you have put a lot of time and effort into explaining and re explaining your point of view here over the past few days and I can assure you that everyone has read your comments carefully and appreciates your contribution. I get the feeling reading your comments that you are feeling angry and misunderstood.

I am sure that I speak for the others here when I say that no one here is interested in passing snide remarks or rubbishing your opinion. They certainly dont want to hang you...They will have you buy a round of drinks maybe but not hang you!

We slag each other off all the time here with good humoured banter but behind it all are a group of amateurs who are friends. If you met us at a star party you would see just how crazy we really are!!! Im still recovering from the pub crawl at the Whirlpool!!!!

We have varying degrees of experience and knowledge and are willing to share what we know for everyones benefit..

No one here is saying that it is a good idea to purchase scopes from department stores or supermarkets. Our experience tells us this was true, is true and will be true into the future.

However, and it is a huge however, on this occasion something very rare is happening and it deserves special consideration. Many of us including yourself, have put lots of time, thought and some research into figuring out what exactly it is that Lidl have to sell and if it is worth the money. None of us could have found all this out is such a short time on our own and this forum has allowed us to "fast track" the learning process before Monday.

Lidi supermarket has somehow aquired a stock of Meade scopes and is selling them at a good price next Monday.

We are all curious to know if this is a good deal or not. We have put our various levels of expertise and opinions together to allow everyone to make the best informed decision when considering if buying one of these scopes is a good idea or not. Having looked into it together (and your input forms part of that process and is most welcome) some will decide to purchase.. other will decide not to. The point is that none of us is alone in working out what to do.

Thanks for pointing out to us all that we seem to be breaking our own golden rule of not buying from Department stores or supermarkets. But please note that having done the research some of us have concluded that on this occasion, and on this occasion only, buying a scope from Lidl on Monday next might be worth it!

Its not out fault if a supermarket decided to break with tradition and actually sell a decent scope for once!!! (Thats the banter and the slagging!.. not a serious comment)

If another supermarket gets a batch of scopes to sell, we will start the process all over again and work out together if it is a good deal or not. And I hope you will be there to remind us all that it is a supermarket and to be careful!!! Perhaps we will conclude that the scopes, on that occasion, are rubbish and strongly not recommend buying them.

If you are considering buying a scope in the future, we will be here waiting to offer advise if you want it so that you get the best value for your euro.

Promise!

Liam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 5 months ago #5966 by eclipsedan
Oops. Sorry to imply that you're an amateur Cathy. While the comment stands on its own merits, it shouldn't be directed towards you.

Good luck with the Meade. The portability looks really great and I'm hoping to piggyback my 20D on it when both arrive.

Enjoy the beans too! :D

More
19 years 5 months ago #5969 by Cathy

Oops. Sorry to imply that you're an amateur Cathy. While the comment stands on its own merits, it shouldn't be directed towards you.

Good luck with the Meade. The portability looks really great and I'm hoping to piggyback my 20D on it when both arrive.

Enjoy the beans too! :D

:lol: Don't worry about it. I'm very far from being an expert. And I'm looking up recipes as I type...

More
19 years 5 months ago #5975 by orions neb
Good morning all.

Most of you are probably bored with me now and some might be humored or think im a total ejit……maybe im an ejit…lol. Im only standing up for my beliefs about telescopes being sold in supermarkets that is all. Im not against lidls for selling this scope and not asking anyone not to buy it.

Like most of you have bought the skylux and are pleased with it. Now in what category does this fall into is it classed as a branded quality scope or the so called junkscope department. Do you see where it can be confusing for some? Im not saying Meade is junk far from it. Im just pointing out where im coming from in this argument. How are people supposed to know the difference? We all know Meade to be top class equipment that’s why next year im buying the LX90 and it wont be from lidls lol.

I just have suspicions that’s all…….if I was to by this scope in a telescope shop I would have to pay the full price? But wait…………..lets all go down to the supermarket there cheaper. that’s why all this don’t make sense for a branded name like Meade. Maybe I dug myself a hole and its getting deeper but I will crawl out somehow and still argue my point. If someone here in authority said what I said would the outcome be different? Its been an interesting argument and I thank you all for replying to my posts and I hope you all allow me to post more to any replies I might get.

Ps…to the admin/moderator.

If you feel this thread has gone on long enough please let me know and I wont post anymore. I know things can drag on and get boring. Im not here to cause trouble im just pointing out views about what has been said. Whether im wrong or right my points still remain the same.

Thank you

Orion.

More
19 years 5 months ago #5982 by jhonan

Like most of you have bought the skylux and are pleased with it. Now in what category does this fall into is it classed as a branded quality scope or the so called junkscope department. Do you see where it can be confusing for some? Im not saying Meade is junk far from it. Im just pointing out where im coming from in this argument. How are people supposed to know the difference? We all know Meade to be top class equipment that’s why next year im buying the LX90 and it wont be from lidls lol.

Astronomers give people advice based on either their own experiences or knowledge, or from advice that's been passed on to them. And you will hear this advice from all sources; newsgroups, forums, magazines, and star parties (among others). And it does get confusing.

But that's all it is - advice. It's really there to allow the individual to make an informed decision, and decide for themselves what to buy. Because, when its you standing there at the cash till with your wallet - It's your decision alone.

This thread has been all about the Lidl scopes, and the 'junk or not junk' discussion. Some people are going to be in the queue on Monday morning, some aren't - But everyone will have a different opinion on these scopes. Some people might just not like 70mm refractors, and other people might not be happy with buying from a supermarket.

I could go and start a 'Celestron versus Meade' thread right now, or a 'Refractors versus Reflectors', or a 'Webcams versus DSLRs' and you will see just as varied a selection of opinions. There is no right or wrong answers. It's up to you to take these opinions and formulate your own.

You think this is bad? - Try some of the newsgroups! :roll:

John.

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

More
19 years 5 months ago #5985 by dmcdona
John - refractors win out every time :shock:

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds