K-Tec

Telescopes (Meade ETX 70 & Skylux) in Lidl Monday 22nd N

More
19 years 5 months ago #5995 by dave_lillis
oh boy,
Now you've done it John, suggesting the very notion of a meade versus celestron debate will make the AI "discussions" look civil. :P

Just kidding, by coincidence the CGE_uncensored yahoo group has just started a thread on this very point, and no I didnt start it :lol:
It should prove very interesting..

I've seen through a number of Celestrons and Meades and have found both to be comparible.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 5 months ago #6001 by ei5fk
Replied by ei5fk on topic Prices

only 95c a minute, thats a steel

Dave, its a steal all right, think ill go "there" for my ETX-70 and give em €500 for it instead of Lidl's offer, Poor Orion, sounds like he has more money than me. Bit like getting petrol here in Cork, I pay 96.9/litre and I cringe at that, most pay 99.9 or more, looking forward to TESCO petrol where it will be 5 cent cheaper again. Give me supermarket petrol or telescopes at a good price any day :D
Charles

More
19 years 5 months ago #6004 by dave_lillis
yea,
looking forward to tomorrow to get it.
anyway, the meade vs celestron debate in the yahoo group has come to an end, seems like it comes down to tracking for astrophotography.
Some say the meade fork, others the celestron mount eq mount.
Sky and telescope gave a review a few months ago of the celestron and didnt give a glowing account of the mount, atleast that was my reading of it.

I'm eagerly waiting for their review of the GPS scope, hopefully they do the 14 inch.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 5 months ago #6008 by orions neb
Hi all.

It’s the last day now to recap on what has been said here. I for one is sticking to my story about supermarkets selling telescopes regardless of brand. I respect your views also, and some of you although a bit late have said what this scope can do and cant do. Which should have been top of the list so people would know what to expect from this scope. Ok……it’s a Meade!! That doesn’t automatically make it a beginners telescope. My idea of a scope for a child or adult beginner would be 4inches or more, maybe a dob? They would see more through this than the so called computer scope. I’m no expert on the computer part of it but I do know its gonna need polar alignment in order to track objects if they so wish. This is why I don’t recommend it for the beginner. Who’s gonna show them how to do all this? Ok the parents might have knowledge of telescopes of this sort….that’s ok. What about people that don’t have a clue and the parents struggling over the xmas trying to keep there children happy because they cant operate the scope the way it should be. As for the 1400 objects in its database they will be lucky to see at least 100 out of that but that’s only an example of what im saying. Ok it’s a challenge for you experts, no doubt you will see things that wouldn’t be normally seen in such a small scope? But you have years of experience!!

Also from Monday onwards……if people reply to what I have been saying about this scope or the skylux its gonna be from you that’s on this forum already and its clear where your priorities lay. If you find the scope not what you thought it would be and unhappy with it? Its unlikely you will come on this forum and admit it? All im expecting to hear is…………wow what a telescope im glad I bought it….something like that?
But this aint about you, its about children that don’t know anything about astronomy/telescopes!! that’s gonna be walking around lidls see the scope and scream blue murder if there parents don’t buy it. Buying on impulse is a bad thing for the hobby. It doesn’t matter if nasa made the scope, the fact remains the same its not suitable for someone that doesn’t know about this hobby. As you can tell im aiming at children that wants to start astronomy. They wont even know what a lens is let alone a computer telescope. Am I so wrong to point all this out? All them kids wont know who or what Meade is after all it’s the name Meade that got in the way of the real issue. Also what good reviews you get on this forum Monday onwards like I said will be from yourselves mainly but that’s ok. it’s the little ones we wont hear about that counts. Someone said I was taking it all personally maybe I am. Im not blind, supermarkets selling a brand name like Meade, something had to be sacrificed to get it at that price? If you ask me your paying for the goto and skimping on the main part which is the optics? that’s why its cheap and maybe that’s why its sold here only because who else would in all fairness tolerate something like that. that’s where my suspicions came about whether its right or wrong. I’ve said my piece and hope you understand. If what I said is wrong in your opinion then im in the wrong hobby.

All the best

Orion.

More
19 years 5 months ago #6009 by albertw

Also from Monday onwards……

As from tonight there will be two new topics started by me, one for each of the scopes to help anyone who has bought them and this thread will hopefully become a lot quieter. Folks, all your opinions have been noted and reading the same opinions over and over again is getting very tedious (for me anyway!).

Cheers,
~Al (moderator)

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
19 years 5 months ago #6011 by dmcdona
Orions neb - there won't be any left for the screamings kids. Folks on this board will have snapped them all up! :lol:

Cheers Al - looking forward to both threads.

Dave

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds