K-Tec

Echoes of Columbia this morning - Soyuz TMA11 landing

• BrianOHalloran
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 1 week ago #66743 by BrianOHalloran
God that was a bit scary this morning! No comms from the Soyuz after drogue deploy through the post landing phase (Landing +40min), plus no visual confirmation of the Soyuz DM at the landing site - you could hear the foreboding in the voice of the NASA PAO that something had gone horribly wrong.

Thankfully though, the crew have been found safe and sound - 475 km west of the planned landing site. Seems they underwent an unplanned ballistic re-entry, the second consecutive Soyuz landing anomaly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 week ago #66751 by voyager
Yikes, that doesn't sound good. Glad all were well but still, not looking too positive for Soyuz.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
16 years 1 week ago #66796 by Seanie_Morris
Wow! I haven't seen or heard this on the news yet. Just read it now seeing your post Brian. cnn.com news article on the event.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• BrianOHalloran
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 1 week ago #66798 by BrianOHalloran
Head of the Russian Space Agency, Anatoly Perminov, blames the presence of more women than men on board Soyuz as root cause of the re-entry anomaly:

Later, Perminov was asked about the presence of two women on the Soyuz, and referred to a naval superstition that having women aboard a ship was bad luck.

"You know in Russia, there are certain bad omens about this sort of thing, but thank God that everything worked out successfully," he said. "Of course in the future, we will work somehow to ensure that the number of women will not surpass" the number of men.

Challenged by a reporter, Perminov responded: "This isn't discrimination. I'm just saying that when a majority (of the crew) is female, sometimes certain kinds of unsanctioned behaviour or something else occurs, that's what I'm talking about."

He did not elaborate.

:shock:

Bloody hell - imagine if Mike Griffin made those sort of comments, he'd be out the door first thing Monday morning. Guess you can see why Russian female cosmonauts have less than a snowball's chance in hell of flying a Soyuz mission.

More
16 years 1 week ago #66803 by dave_lillis
The Russians don't mince their words. :lol:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
16 years 1 week ago #66842 by voyager
Did we just go back in time a few centuries? I thought the space faring nations had moved on from such stupid superstitions :(

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds