Remote Observatory - Guinea Pigs Wanted

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 11 months ago #46115 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Remote Observatory - Guinea Pigs Wanted
Is someone logged on at the mo? If so, sorry, gonna have ditch you... I'm getting some error messages up...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 11 months ago #46116 by philiplardner
Replied by philiplardner on topic Re: Remote Observatory - Guinea Pigs Wanted
Looks the biz and worked a dream! Very impressed... doubly so as I am planning to use ACP for my own setup eventually. It's so nice of you to be *my* guinepig! :D When the time comes for me to lash out the spondooliks for control software, you'll have already ironed out the bugs and overcome all the hurdles... I hope!

Phil.

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 11 months ago #46117 by dmcdona

When the time comes for me to lash out the spondooliks for control software, you'll have already ironed out the bugs and overcome all the hurdles... I hope!

Phil.

Glad you like it Phil! Its pretty complex to be honest - I'm working live at the mo (hence dumping you all off) and I'm getting some odd behaviour. Good think is, support is good and quick.

When I'm done playing, I'll re-enable the Guest account and let ye all know.

Watch this space!

Cheers
Dave

More
16 years 11 months ago #46124 by eansbro
Replied by eansbro on topic Re: Remote Observatory - Guinea Pigs Wanted
I have been using ACP for about 2 years on two robotic observatories. In particular ACP scheduler which is ideal for Irish climate conditions.
In the survey work I am using it for detecting EKBOs, its a blessing to use. I can script in a mosaic for a 5 hour run. I go to bed and leave it run. Its definitely astronomy while you sleep. In April alone I did over 100 hours of surveying.

At ones leisure you can then analyse the data. I detected 5 EKBOs at around 21 to 22 mag and 130 asteroids of around 16-19 mag which were already known by MPC. Most of the work is using PinPoint within ACP for plate solving and detection of these objects. Like most you on the boards I have to get up for work after a good nights sleep. But its definitely the way to go if you are serious in astronomy.

BTW I am presenting this material and explaining the benefits of ACP for minor planet work to the British Astronomical Association, Asteroids and Remote Planets Section on 2 June in Newbury.

Dave, You made a good choice for the future.

Eamonn A

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 11 months ago #46125 by dmcdona
Thanks for that Eamon!

I did a pointing correction run last night - ACP just gets on with it. I ran the correction script then, err, just watched for an hour! ACP figures it all out and off it goes - slews the scope over the sky, plate solves each image and figures out the corrections to be made. Then it produces a pointing model for continuing use. Super!

By the way, the guest account is now available - but there's nothing happening.

Dave

More
16 years 11 months ago #46126 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Re: Remote Observatory - Guinea Pigs Wanted
Hi Dave,

I tried it at about 12:25 and it worked perfectly.

I couldn't find the 'launch space shuttle' tab tho' :D

Michael.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds