K-Tec

The Pipe Nebula in Ophiuchus - 1st Attempt

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 10 months ago #13783 by Keith g
Hi all, Here's my first attempt at the dark 'pipe nebula' in the constellation Ophiuchus on Saturday night last. This is also known as Barnard 78, and is a great sight in binoculars on a clear summer's night, so I thought i'd give it a go with my new canon ef 85mm f1.8 lens. This lens is really good with star colours as you can see, a minimum of processing to keep it natural looking, just slight adjustment in PS7 with levels.

This dark nebula lies between Antares and Sagittarius, but is low when seen from Ireland. Condition were clear, but it was very humid, anyway here it is...

Date: 10th July 2005
Canon 300D, Canon ef 85 mm f1.8 lens set at f2.8.
Not Stacked, single 5 minute exposure
ISO 800

Hope you look at this area - it;s beautiful! :D
Keith..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #13784 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: The Pipe Nebula in Ophiuchus - 1st Attempt
Absolutely wonderful... :shock:

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 10 months ago #13787 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: The Pipe Nebula in Ophiuchus - 1st Attempt
Stunning Keith, as usual. One of your finest I'd say.

Just as a matter if interest I took the liberty of marking in some of the many deep sky objects which Keith caught in this shot. Mostly globular clusters.

Hope you dont mind Keith

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
18 years 10 months ago #13840 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: The Pipe Nebula in Ophiuchus - 1st Attempt
Keith,

This is excellent work! I also have an interest in dark galaxies and suggest you look up the SNAKE NEBULA (B72?) which is equally stunning.

Question for you: is the reddish tint on the right side of the photo (middle of right edge as well as the bottom right corner) amplifier glow from the camera or is it natural? At the same time, a dark frame would have helped if it is indeed amp glow.

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
18 years 10 months ago #13847 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: The Pipe Nebula in Ophiuchus - 1st Attempt
So Keith,
when are you setting up the star party in the sunny south east!! :P

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 10 months ago #13880 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Dave G, damn, so many globulars, I knew of a few there, but that's a lot, can I post it to the all-ireland sky project?? It's about time we started on this, It wouls be a good start i think :D

This is excellent work! I also have an interest in dark galaxies and suggest you look up the SNAKE NEBULA (B72?) which is equally stunning.

Question for you: is the reddish tint on the right side of the photo (middle of right edge as well as the bottom right corner) amplifier glow from the camera or is it natural? At the same time, a dark frame would have helped if it is indeed amp glow.

Anthony, I know og the snake nebula, I've seen it in better shots than this and is absolutely stunning! I think there is a bare hint of it there, but i'm not so sure, i'll look skyatlas 2000. As for the reddish glow to the right, you're right, it's ampglow from the camera, how do you add a darkframe? I know how to take one, but how is it added???? In photoshop???

So Keith,
when are you setting up the star party in the sunny south east!! Razz

Well Dave, I'd be on for the first week of August :D The moon will be out of the way, and the milkyway will still be a sight!! Anybody free??

Keith..

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds