K-Tec

New Naked Eye Comet - 17/P Holmes

More
16 years 6 months ago #53063 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: New Naked Eye Comet - 17/P Holmes
Just spotted it! Looks like an extra "star" in Perseus. Very easy to see with the naked eye, even with the moonlight. Looked like a dense globular cluster with the 16".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #53066 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: New Naked Eye Comet - 17/P Holmes

Just spotted it! Looks like an extra "star" in Perseus. Very easy to see with the naked eye, even with the moonlight. Looked like a dense globular cluster with the 16".

See thats why I'm back in looking at maps! I cant see a comet just a star that shouldn't be there. Good to hear I'm actually looking at the right thing!

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
16 years 6 months ago #53067 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: New Naked Eye Comet - 17/P Holmes

It very near the brightest star in Perseus....

Mirphak?

Bout quarter of the way from Mirphak to Capella. Its the star that shouldn't be there.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
16 years 6 months ago #53068 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: New Naked Eye Comet - 17/P Holmes
Damned fog and high cloud... :x

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 6 months ago #53069 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Wow!!!!! This is the single most strangest comet I have ever seen in my Life, earlier today, an alert went out that this comet had suddenly brighened from a predicted magnitude 17 to magnitude 3 - incredible, I wonder how this has happened? I quickly set up my 15x70mm binoculars and I easily found it in the constellation Perseus, just about 5 degrees from Alpha Persei at magnitude 1.8, also the star Delta Persei is at magnitude 3.0, from these two stars, I can see the comet at about magnitude 2.5 !!!!! I could immediately see that it is very much yellow in colour, just like the planet Saturn, and it is definitely non star like, with a slighty elongated shape east-west, with no sign of a tail, especially since the near full moon is shining brightly.

This can easily be mistaken for a nova, and is easily visible with the naked eye ! Here is a quick shot that I took.....this will grab many headlines over the next few days...

Keith....

• paulevans
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 6 months ago #53070 by paulevans
Replied by paulevans on topic Re: New Naked Eye Comet - 17/P Holmes
Nice shot Keith - I agree - it's brighter than Delta Persei so 2.5 seems about right!

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds