K-Tec

New Naked Eye Comet - 17/P Holmes

More
16 years 5 months ago #53858 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: New Naked Eye Comet - 17/P Holmes

it does not seem to work this way

henk

Hi Henk,

I'm afraid not, you have to upload the photo somewhere onto the web and then include the URL inside the img tags. I think a lot of people here use Flickr.

Hope that helps,

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #53859 by jmcc5
Replied by jmcc5 on topic Re: New Naked Eye Comet - 17/P Holmes
This might have already been asked in earlier pages but I haven't read them and there's also probably an obvious answer but how come there's no tail to the comet? I also thought comets had tails.

I did manage to see Holmes last night through the breaks in the cloud and it's quite easy to find even visible to the naked eye but I couldn't see a tail even if there is one there.

As I said the answers probably obvious but not in my case

Joanna
Cork Astronomy Club

More
16 years 5 months ago #53860 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: New Naked Eye Comet - 17/P Holmes

This might have already been asked in earlier pages but I haven't read them and there's also probably an obvious answer but how come there's no tail to the comet? I also thought comets had tails.

I did manage to see Holmes last night through the breaks in the cloud and it's quite easy to find even visible to the naked eye but I couldn't see a tail even if there is one there.

As I said the answers probably obvious but not in my case

Couple of relevant points:

1) Comets get tails as they come close to the sun, this one is a long way out
2) Even if it does have a small tail it would be pointing away from us so we wouldn't see it

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
16 years 5 months ago #53861 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: New Naked Eye Comet - 17/P Holmes
I think Daves image shows a tail quite clearly if you can get your head around the orientation. The bright area to the right is the tail, just thats its oriented away from us. The large halo is a result of the outgassing and that is tending to hide the part of the tail that we can see.
Just my 2c.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
16 years 5 months ago #53870 by John D
Replied by John D on topic Re: New Naked Eye Comet - 17/P Holmes
Just got my first look at the comet last night with a pair of binoculars. I couldn't believe how bright it was, i could see it as bright as any star in that region.

Cant wait to see it through the telescope. :D

John

• paulevans
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 5 months ago #53872 by paulevans
Replied by paulevans on topic Re: New Naked Eye Comet - 17/P Holmes
I got a window of clarity this evening - took a good few exposures including this stack of 6 lights and five darks - there's all sorts wrong with this, not the least of which being that it's made from jpgs as I haven't yet converted the RAWs down to TIFF for better stacking, but it shows a central coma that is sharper one side than the other and an extended coma that is the same shape - I hesitate to call it a "tail" as such!

Got some more detailed stuff that I'll process later!

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds