Image of sunspot group

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 3 months ago #8110 by michaeloconnell
Image of sunspot group was created by michaeloconnell
At the moment there is a large group of sunspots crossing the solar disc. If you have the right gear, solar filter etc., it's well worth taking a look. Here's a snap I took earlier this morning. The view in the eyepiece is much better than this image would indicate. A webcam should pick up the detail in the sunspots much better than my attempt.

Clear skies,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 months ago #8112 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Michael, That's one big group!! It's been blindingly sunny all morning, now the damn clouds have come in again, I'll try and get an image too.

There's an aurora alert you know. What did you take this shot with?
Keith..

More
19 years 3 months ago #8113 by John OBrien
Replied by John OBrien on topic Re: Image of sunspot group
Woah... thats a massive group!

The "Y" symbol it kinda forms is quite interesting and the last major aurura visable here had big sunspot group that formed an "O" symbol.

OY, you lot on Earth stop your messin or I'll burn ya. :lol:

"We are the music makers ... and we are the dreamers of dreams." - W.W.

More
19 years 3 months ago #8114 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Image of sunspot group
I didnt get a chance to look at it yesterday, but its clear outside so nows the time.
The first thing I thoguht when i saw it was it kinda remionded me of the circular feature in 2003 which caused our last massive aurora.

There was no aurora last night, well atleast between 8 and 1.30 there wasn't
Last night was a great night for observing, although there was a bitter wind up on the hill.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 3 months ago #8117 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Image of sunspot group
They are a very good group of spots alright. I took out the Skylux 70mm refractor, and through the projection method I took some photo's. The best of this abismal bunch I have put here!

This one was viewed through the 35mm eyepiece

This one, a bad close up, was with the 6mm eyepiece

Again, with the 6mm eyepiece.

It is a really nice day here, but there is high altitude cirrus cloud, which is hardly moving compared to the faster moving lower altitude cloud. Quite breezy here today. Its a shame I can't quite afford a Canon 300D just yet to take better pictures! These were taken with a 3.3MPixel digital camera.

While I am at it, anyone with a telescope who would like to try and view these spots by projection method (if you don't have any other), check out www.tullamoreastronomy.com , click on the Events tab at the top, and click on the June 8th Transit link, then the link at the bottom of that page for a (rough) guide to doing solar projection.

:D

Seanie.
(the purveyor of bad PR stunts!)

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 3 months ago #8120 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Image of sunspot group
Seanie,
The group reminds me of the coathanger in Vulpecula !
A while back i tried using a film SLR camera to do exactly what your trying there, for me the the biggest problem was that the camera just couldnt focus on something that near, so I had to move back to focus, but then it was too small.

The clouds here have rolled in, just as I was going out, why didnt I go out this morning, there I was sitting inside looking out thinking, I'll leave it a little longer (recovering from last night) :(

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds