K-Tec

First light with modified 300D: Horsehead/Flame

• slattts
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
19 years 3 months ago #8975 by slattts
Last weekend I completed the 300D modification per Gary Honis' excellent Web tutorial ( ghonis2.ho8.com/rebelmod.html ) as well as the Russian firmware hack and changing the TC80N3 timer/remote to fit both the 10D and 300D. Tearing apart a perfectly good camera was pretty nerve-racking, not to mention precision cutting of a 27 x 19.6mm clear replacement for the IR blocking filter (ever go bonkers? :x ) -- but all turned out well and everything works. Uncorrected pictures are pink!

I got breaks in the clouds Tuesday and yesterday evenings and grabbed a total of 23 exposures at 2 minutes ISO 800. This is with the Orion ED80 refractor with IDAS LPS filter, autoguided on the main LX200 with ToUcam/GuideDog. Not the best HH, but the pic may help illustrate what this modification does for the camera's red sensitivity. For test framing I was picking up a clear horsehead and flame at 30 seconds with ISO 1600!

home.earthlink.net/~dslattery1/images/HHead_2-7_2-9-05_1.jpg

Just curious, are many of you browsing the Digital_Astro or ImagesPlus Yahoo groups? There are so many pioneering folks on there that pics like this pale (literally) by comparison, but those 2 boards are an education in themselves on digital imaging. I know Keith g. is lurking in there! Anyone else? :)

-- Denis Slattery

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 months ago #8978 by James Butler
Replied by James Butler on topic Re: First light with modified 300D: Horsehead/Flame
Excellent photo slattts. I have a photo of the same field taken with an unmodified Canon. Only 3 shots at 30 seconds each though. Now that I can track with GuideDog I shall do some 2 minute shots like you and see how an unmodified camera compares to the modified one.

By the way, I'm a member of every single astronomy related Yahoo group. Keeps me busy, reading the posts in the morning.

James Butler

Astronomy Diary - astronomy-diary.blogspot.com/

More
19 years 3 months ago #8983 by John C McConnell
Replied by John C McConnell on topic Re: First light with modified 300D: Horsehead/Flame
Hey Slattts, thats a cracking image, beautiful detail!

Johnmc.

More
19 years 3 months ago #8984 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Denis, That's a wonderful shot! Bet you need a degree in surgery :) to do that modification, I would'nt have the nerve for that yet :?

Keith..

More
19 years 3 months ago #8987 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: First light with modified 300D: Horsehead/Flame
Denis,
I'm impressed that you succesfully managed to modifty the camera, i think I'll hold off for a few years and get one on the cheap when they're a penny a dozen and modiify one then.
I haven't seen those groups before, I must check them out

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 3 months ago #8991 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: First light with modified 300D: Horsehead/Flame
Superb image Denis!!
Mind me asking, do u use Imageplus? If so, how do u find it?

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds