K-Tec

Congrats to Dave Grennan on his SN discovery.

More
13 years 6 months ago #86573 by eansbro
Hi Dave Mc,

Yes your right, I did discover the first Nova from Ireland many years ago. This brings back memories. It was a novelty in those days, it hit the main RTE and BBC news. Finding Novae as you know is a lot more difficult as compared to SNs, because you don't know where in the sky to find them, hence may be the one nova in two or three years. This was before CCD cameras. I remember I took about 80 hours of exposures using photo film.

I think Dave did very well in discovering his SN when compared to all the competition thats around. However, I did mention to Dave G that his search fields are really fertile when compared to the competition. Most of the "factory" searches that "harvest" SNe are mainly in the mid latitudes. The likes of Tom Boles in the UK at our latitudes has had very good success rates in recent years in the polar regions.

It's ironical that when the IFAS AOP was initiated 3 or 4 years ago, there was a lot of enthusium as team work, but it is difficult to coordinate a team program. I know in the UK that there SN searches are done by individual observers, whereby in the US you have the Puckett team that analyse the comparison images in teams. The idea of IFAS AOP was a similar model to the Puckett approach. I still believe this approach will work with an Irish team.

I really hope that Dave's SN discovery will be an inspiration to others on the IFAS board to try this out.

Eamonn A

www.kingslandobservatory.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #86574 by EPK
Dave is not only an inspiration, but a great source of pride to anyone who has met him.
A modest and unassuming guy with a wonderful sense of humour, he is a great ambassador for the new wave of Irish astronomers who are making such a mark with their recent discoveries.Congratulations.

Meade 16" Lightbridge
Tal 6" Newtonian
Meade LXD75 6" Newtonian
Tal 4" Refractor
Panoptic and Nagler eyepieces.
Attitude and Smartassery

For forever and a day I shall chase that white whale - Captain Ahab

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
13 years 6 months ago #86575 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re:Congrats to Dave Grennan on his SN discovery.
I managed to acquire a quite deep image of 2010ik this evening. The attached image has a limiting magnitude of +21.2 and is the result of 62 x 60 second images. This observation puts the supernova at +18.6. Astrometry and more details on the image.

Thanks to all again,

Dave

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
13 years 6 months ago #86576 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re:Congrats to Dave Grennan on his SN discovery.
Well done Dave on that amazing discovery. It is a real testament to your skill and dedication but also a deserved reward for the contributions you have made to Irish astronomy.

John

More
13 years 6 months ago #86579 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Re:Congrats to Dave Grennan on his SN discovery.
Well done Dave,

Michael.

More
13 years 6 months ago #86580 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re:Congrats to Dave Grennan on his SN discovery.
Is there nothing this man can't do?:laugh:

Congrats Dave.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds