K-Tec

Build your own solar system!

More
15 years 11 months ago #67221 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Orereryryorery

I think the quality is great and it looks the bussiness, I thought I had a dodgy set of gears as they were sticking at some points, but its just a little to much varnish and its sorted its self out with me whizzing the planets round..

I had the same issue, gears binding, I had to get out the file and take some of the metal away from the hole the gear shaft sits in, I'm slightly annoyed but at least now its ok.
The tool kit also arrived today, allen keys and screw drivers.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #67228 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Build your own solar system!
I am starting to wonder why I didn't start up this series now. :(

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
15 years 11 months ago #67287 by jmcc5
Replied by jmcc5 on topic Re: Build your own solar system!
I'm just wondering did anyone have problems fitting the grub screw that that holds the Mercury arm in place??

I'm having trouble with this part. Any advice greatly welcome

Joanna
Cork Astronomy Club

More
15 years 11 months ago #67305 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Build your own solar system!
that one was ok in my set.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
15 years 11 months ago #67386 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Build your own solar system!
Last week i got issues 4&5. This week (today) i got issues 6&7.

I'm still missing issues.............1,2&3 so i emailed Dan and enquired (i asked about the toolkit).

I'm wondering if there were any parts of the model OR instructions included in issues 1,2&3........................that i need to assemble the parts i have already?

T'is a lot of cash to pay for a subscription and if ONE issue doesnt make it to me.............the whole project is worthless.

I DO like the quality of the model pieces........................

I'm sure i will get all the parts.............but it doesnt hurt to keep the company informed of exactly what you have and have not recieved.

I am gonna wait til i have all issues of the mag, and all parts needed before i start to construct the model.

The quality of parts so far..................look like it is money well spent. ..........and the end result should be pretty awesome.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
15 years 11 months ago #67412 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re: Build your own solar system!
.......and this is what its like ordering direct from the distributor. This is why hardly any newsagents sell these thing. We get it in the neck when issues don't show up. People take it out on us be saying screw this and diappearing off the face of the planet. We are left with non returnable partworks and out of pocket.

If you cancel the following week that someone doesn't collect the issue you get an earful when they arrive back from holiday or come back saying they forgot to collect the last weeks issue. An earful because it takes between 6-10 weeks to get the missed/back issue....(often leading ironically to ,"screw this, I'm missing an issue, I wont pick them up anymore or bother to tell the newsagent to cancel"

If you don't cancel because of the uncollected issue you more often than not find that they weren't on holidays, but just couldn't be arsed to tell you they wanted to cancel. Then you have 3 or 4 non returnable issues and are out of pocket.

The reason you see these things on the shelves at all still is that Easons(no EM Distribution/menzies) send out boxes of these new partworks unsolicited/ordered. The first 6 issues are Sale or Return unlike the rest of the series. It is such a hassle to return these to Easons and they debit your account straight away (for something you didn't even order or want) and don't credit your account for these for 1 or 2 months...well its easier to flog them on the shelf and get your money back that way even though you have no intention of stocking the rest of the series after issue Six. One does cancel this "'un-ordered new partworks' the minute they arrive, but in this computerised age, for some reason it still takes about 6 weeks for the cancel request to be applied to these partworks on your account.

ie, issue one arrrives. You get on the phone or website of easons and cancel. You'll still get issue 2,3,4,5 and 6 before it disappears off your standing order and like I said, better to put them on the shelf and get your money back now than let easons have your money free gratis in their bank account earning money for 2 months till they credit you.

There have been a few posts giving out about newsagents and these things . So don't take this out on the newsagents, its not us its them!! :D

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds