K-Tec

Build your own solar system!

More
15 years 11 months ago #68053 by fguihen
Replied by fguihen on topic Re: Build your own solar system!

I'd think twice about using Brasso

I found that out the hard way. A few days ago i did use it on the sun and now its slightly tarnished.

I wont be making the same mistake with the rest of it. A quick rub with a soft cloth.

im not sure about this, but i believe Tcut, the car polish is much finer than brasso and may clean off the sun nicely. ive used tcut to polish off the edges of a block of perspex and it came up almost as clear as the factory polished sides.

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." Dilbert.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #68059 by brownlow
Replied by brownlow on topic Re: Build your own solar system!

I'd think twice about using Brasso

I found that out the hard way. A few days ago i did use it on the sun and now its slightly tarnished.

I wont be making the same mistake with the rest of it. A quick rub with a soft cloth.

im not sure about this, but i believe Tcut, the car polish is much finer than brasso and may clean off the sun nicely. ive used tcut to polish off the edges of a block of perspex and it came up almost as clear as the factory polished sides.

I agree. I am sure that Tcut has a much smaller particle size.

However, the Sun along with many of the other non-moving parts is brass plated and I would think that a very thin coat has been applied.

It would be extremely easy to penetrate the plating to expose the metal beneath. Proceed with caution as they say. :)

More
15 years 11 months ago #68247 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Build your own solar system!
OK i will give Tcut a go. Thanks for the help.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
15 years 11 months ago #68256 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Build your own solar system!
Has anyone received their binders yet, I received "half" a binder in a "an post" bag saying it was damaged, it must have been a genius who worked that one out. :lol:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
15 years 11 months ago #68270 by Johnm
Replied by Johnm on topic Binder
I received editions 8, 9 and 10 yesterday - including a binder.
Unfortunately I didn't get any parts with the magazines. Rang them and was told the partes should be with me in 21 days

Here's hoping !

More
15 years 11 months ago #68283 by jmcc5
Replied by jmcc5 on topic Re: Build your own solar system!
Hopefully not jinking myself, I've had no problems with the gears or any part of the model (well, no problems that weren't self inflicted - had to use a bit of superglue on the arm of the Moon for Earth and put the grub for Mercury in at an angle).

The model is starting to put on a bit of weight as the gears build up. It is annoying though that you have to loosen the central coloum every time and then reset it.

Joanna
Cork Astronomy Club

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds