K-Tec

I'm putting pen to paper

More
15 years 10 months ago #69426 by Petermark
Replied by Petermark on topic Re: I'm putting pen to paper
Someone got out of the bed the wrong side this morning !!!!

Mark.
Anybody who says that Earthshine is reflected Sunshine is talking Moonshine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
15 years 10 months ago #69427 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: I'm putting pen to paper

I think that it a bit OTT Dave and I take offense to that remark.

Michael, I'm sorry if you take offense, I have a lot of respect for you. However, I am directing this at the IFAS committee in general. I am voicing what a LOT of people have said to me of late.

Paul E: I'm sorry but I am just sick and tired of the general resentment which surfaces anytime there is something good posted about AI. I think a few of us need to take a close look at ourselves.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
15 years 10 months ago #69436 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: I'm putting pen to paper
Free and open discussion, that's what these boards are about. Neither the mods, the committee, nor the web team can change the minds of posters here. All we can do is moderate fairly. The thread is still here, the compliments are still here. That should speak volumes. We don't delete praise of AI or A&S or any individuals in A&S or AI. That's all we can do, we don't have a ray-gun to beam positive thoughts into everyone's heads. We're not the thought police and we don't want to be.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
15 years 10 months ago #69449 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: I'm putting pen to paper
god, how did I know this was going to happen,
What I was getting at is the repetition, there is another post very similar to this one by the same poster fairly recently, are we going to see another welldone again next month and again & again & again, that's all I was getting at. I dont like seeing repetition, it drives me nuts.
We have enough stuff eating through our bandwidth as it is.

If someone feels that strongly about about how great a mag is, then write to the magazine itself.

I've been getting Sky&Telescope for many years, some great issues and some not so great, but you don't see me putting it up on any bulletin boards, and they do monitor some of them. I've better things to be doing.

Regarding the definite silence you feel there is about AI related items, nothing I can do about it if people are not interested and in fairness there has been little resentful comments about AI/AS in the recent past, if anything there was derogatory comments regarding this site in a recent thread by an AI person, but really, who cares.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
15 years 10 months ago #69453 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: I'm putting pen to paper

Ok forgive me if I got this all wrong but I sense a distinct sense of resentment quite often when A&S is mentioned here on these boards.
<snip>
Look I don't want a row but anytime theres been anything positive mentioned about AI or A&S in the past while there has either been a deafening silence or such comments and it annoys the hell out of me for sure.

However, I am directing this at the IFAS committee in general. I am voicing what a LOT of people have said to me of late.

Huh? A LOT of people want to rant at IFAS because you don't get enough praise on these boards? And the lack of praise is somehow the fault of the IFAS committee? Dude! Chill out for a while! 8-)

Others are just as free to say A&S is rubbish if they like.

Somehow I think if I start a thread about how A&S is a very basic magazine, with often out of date news, promotion of only one shop and in general of a much lower standard than anything else on the market I think you'll find an excuse to rant about that also :-)

No one is deleting posts of praise A&S and no one is going to force people to post praise for you!

I'm off to read Astronomy & Geophysics over a mug of coffee. I'll be sure to let you all know if I decide to write to the editor congratulating them on their publication :wink:

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
15 years 10 months ago #69457 by Matthew C
Replied by Matthew C on topic Re: I'm putting pen to paper
IMHO, from a person with no bias, if this was about, say, an american magazine, there wouldnt be so much uproar about it being posted on these boards and an email being written instead!

I dont think this turmoil is the fault of the IFAS committee either! This is all getting a bit crazy and out of hand!

O.k fare play to Paul for voicing his opinion and he has every right! Its HIS experience! Let him have his opinion! And let a representative thank paul for his saying so as it is a compliment to the stated company etc.

Everyone can have their opinion on this matter whether positive or negative but ive just seen Paul get a nice verbal backlash for commending something he enjoyed! And by grown men! Crazy!

THIS IS EATING UP BANDWIDTH!!!! The amount of replies is whats killing us! If was just thanks guys i enjoyed your magazine, your welcome, hey bi dont have the same opinion as you, end of story we'd be saving a whole lotta money on our bandwidth!

Anyway im ranting here but i have no bias in this matter but its starting to get petty!
Ive followed these posts everytime theyve appeared and i felt i wanted to have MY 2 cents from an innocent angle! :D

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. . . .
T. S. Eliot
A wise man....

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds