K-Tec

I'm putting pen to paper

More
15 years 10 months ago #69500 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: I'm putting pen to paper

If you made constructive contributions to the magazine you might see the light, but it looks like you'd prefer to sit on the sidelines and jeer.

I guess you didn't like the light pollution articles earlier in the year then.

TBH I meant my comments earlier as an illustration of a view rather than actual criticism. Hence the 'if I start a thread'... But its interesting to see that your response was to personally insult me.

Apologies DG if I offended your earlier; I should have said "I think some people will..." rather than saying "you'll".

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #69502 by mythicalireland
Replied by mythicalireland on topic Re: I'm putting pen to paper

But its interesting to see that your response was to personally insult me.

Well, it wasn't meant as a personal insult, but then I was insulted by your remark, especially as I'm a regular contributor to A&S. So we can agree to call it quits!!

More
15 years 10 months ago #69505 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: I'm putting pen to paper
Fair enough Anthony!

I might actually grab a copy to read the ancient astronomy articles. Some time ago I did a project on archeoastronomy and found the work that Dr. Clive Ruggles has done on the subject here and in the UK very interesting.

Best Wishes

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
15 years 10 months ago #69508 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: I'm putting pen to paper

Apologies DG if I offended your earlier; I should have said "I think some people will..." rather than saying "you'll".

Understood and accepted.

If you have a complaint against IFAS, then PM it to the committee.

Dave is that your position or the position of the IFAS committee? If that is one persons opinion then I disagree. The readers of these boards have a right to see opinions out in public instead of being hidden behind a sub-board that the rest of us can't read. If on the otherhand this is the position of the committee then we have a situation where IFAS is censuring any negative comment.

Dave G
I'm getting highly annoyed to be honest, you're making a mountain out of a mole hill, seems like you are looking for an arguement and trying to bring the site into disrepute.

Whatever happened to attack the post not the poster.

If you are reffering to my last post in this thread you tell me where I am looking for trouble? I merely questioned why my person was called into question and Albert's reply cleared that up. There was no further argument in that post.

If you are referring to the fact that I argued that Paul (or anyone else for that matter) should have every right to compliment/criticise A&S or any other publication then that is another matter. Bart said everyone is free to come here and exchange views. Clearly that is not the case when members of the committee resort to personally insulting someone who dares to question.

You see my original argument is that;

"but it might be better to just send them your message directly rather than posting it here." is very different to;

"Don't forget to send them your message directly so that they can publish it."

The same undercurrent is exactly what drove another regular poster (and former IFAS astronomer of the year) away from these boards.

Maybe what Irish astronomy needs is BBS service where posters are not insulted because they dare question the status quo. And the good news is that can be arranged VERY easily.

Up to now any IFAS club have been free to contact AI (through me) for help publicising their events. That offer remains to all Astronomy clubs on this island without exception.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• daveg
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #69511 by daveg
Replied by daveg on topic Re: I'm putting pen to paper
I'm reading all of of this and thinking....

My W/O SCT focuser is the dogs b!"£$%cks, can be motorised by JMI and only costs 1/3 of the Moonlites

dave Gradwell

More
15 years 10 months ago #69513 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: I'm putting pen to paper
In a few short pages we seem to be in danger of destroying years worth of effort to build bridges. It's far too easy to post off-the-cuff from behind the sanctuary of a keyboard and a screen. I know for a fact that if we were all sitting facing each other over pints we wouldn't be taking pot-shots at each other like this.

We're all keen Astronomers with a passion for the hobby, we all share that. It helps to remember that I think.

Some things to bear in mind:
1) We moderate very very little on these boards. People are free to express their opinions.
2) The rules VERY clearly say "attack the post not the poster". Everyone, please bear that in mind before replying.
3) Text-only media are very poor at conveying tone. When you read a post you have a choice, assume the poster meant it in the worst way, or in the best way. This thread is full of people choosing to see the worst in ambiguous statements. If we all choose to think the best of each other rather than the worst things would be a lot nicer around here.

This thread has spiralled too far already. One more personal insult or snipe at anyone and I lock it.

Now, back on topic.

PJ, I'm glad you are enjoying Astronomy & Space magazine. As well as sharing your joy on these boards, where I have no doubt many others agree with you, you may also consider writing to the actual magazine, that way the people who put in the work will get to read your compliments.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds