K-Tec

What's your name? Introduce yourself to IFAS!

More
14 years 9 months ago #79180 by efla
Hi all,

Apologies, I should have posted here before inflicting all my questions on you!

I'm based in Maynooth, work in social science at NUIM where I am a member of Astro 2 (unfortunately not as active as I would like). I began as a civil engineer a number of years back before taking up geography and my current home in sociology, and have finally found something to combine my love of surveying, basic physics, geography and sitting down :)

I dont know where anything is in the sky so I'm orienting myself with some 10x50's and a compass when the horrible semi-coastal nighttime haze allows. I have fond memories of watching the moon through my dads binoculars and look forward to returing this winter with a telescope as soon as I can decide which one to get.

I'm reading cosmos for inspiration, astronomy for dummies for the basics, and trying to work through your excellent handbook binocular handbook.

I'm intrigued by the (Fl) variable in the Drake equation, as it seems to be one for the sociologists :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #79184 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re:Introductions! - Welcome to IrishAstronomy.org!
Hi efla,
Welcome, I hope you find the board fun and informative.
Any Qs, just asks.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
14 years 9 months ago #79236 by Frank Ryan
Welcome along here Elfa.
Summertime is usually a quite time here on the boards...
still... if your into observational astronomy then
no better place to be...

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
14 years 9 months ago #79240 by efla
Thanks!

Bad time to be getting into it properly I suppose... Frustrating that I cant put the reading into practice buts its a pleasure to read up on it all the same

More
14 years 9 months ago #79241 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:Introductions! - Welcome to IrishAstronomy.org!
efla wrote:

Thanks!

Bad time to be getting into it properly I suppose... Frustrating that I cant put the reading into practice buts its a pleasure to read up on it all the same

Maybe it's not so bad so efla, you can do your reading and research (and practice) during summer, and then when Winter comes with THEE skies to observe, you'll be ready.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
14 years 9 months ago #79574 by woody
Hello All,

Caeilte is my real name but sometimes go by woody. Been member of AI for a few years but now movin on (another story).
Im based in Louth.

Have always been interested in obversation of the skies and do dabble a little.

Have a 9.25" SCT and would like to get to use it more. (small kids and long work days mean not a lot of time at night to get out apart from sleep)

Would love to get into photoastronomy.

Anyone based round Louth to hook to with (looking for lots of advise)

Woody

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds