K-Tec

What's your name? Introduce yourself to IFAS!

More
14 years 7 months ago #80704 by mjc
To determine whether it is the ETX 70 or 90 you should be able to look at the front lens perimeter - the ETX 70 is clearly labeled and I assume the 90 too. The 70 or 90 is the diameter of the front lens in mm so you can measure it with a ruler and work out what you have if you can't find the designation.

From re-reading your post I'm not sure which axis is failing - is it the ALT (up/down) or Azimuth (left / right)? If the former then my previous comment may help and its trivial work. If it is the left / right axis then it is more complicated. I dismantled mine but there was never the intention of reassembling (I use mine as a finder scope and at some point will have a go at using it to guide). The problem there is the base nut is plastic and there is a nylon tube (bearing?) which will probably shear - as mine did. I believe that my scope will reassemble but I don't have any intentions of doing so.

I moved on from my ETX 70 to an 8" Dob (prior to disassembly) and am pretty happy. I later purchased a german equatorial mount and I now alternate between the latter two configurations depending on how much hassle I wish to undertake.

Good luck with the Cork Astronomy Club - I'm sure you'll be in good company.

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #80707 by JohnRy
Ya sorry meant to write AZ instead of Alz. It's the left right tracking thats gone on it. Will check which scope it but as soon as I get outta work today leaving for kerry mountains for the weekend hoping for some clear skys. I think I'm just going to have to wait until december when I hope to get my own 8" Dob and stick with the Binos and limited planet viewing until then. At least I learning my way round the sky before getting my own scope. The guy I borrowed this off I think is going to sometime end up buying a new mount for the scope because it seems pretty good if you could center it on anything. How do you find the ETX 70?
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by JohnRy.

More
14 years 7 months ago #80709 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:Introductions! - Welcome to IrishAstronomy.org!
JohnRy wrote:

At the moment just waiting for mid september when the first meedting if Cork Astronomy Club is so I can join up there.

Hi John,

Welcome to the forums. I'll be at the same meeting (Sept 14th), something about being a guest speaker... make sure you say hi and then we'll have faces to the names!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
14 years 7 months ago #80710 by mjc
Sorry to hear that its the Azimuth drive that's harder to deal with. Now assuming that you scope is an ETX 70 or same design ensure that the Az clutch lever is properly engaged. Should feel it get tight when engaging. Also just might be worth trying "training the drive"? If you haven't got the manual you can get it here

www.meade.com/manuals/TelescopeManuals/E...60-70AT%20manual.pdf

Here's a good site for ETX tips, hacks, etc
www.weasner.com/etx/menu.html

I enjoyed my ETX when I used to use it on original mount - but it did come with problems and frustrations. A fine scope for using a webcam to image the moon.

I think you are right, however, to have your eyes on a dobsonian.

Mark

More
14 years 6 months ago #81504 by cathalferris
Replied by cathalferris on topic Re:Introductions! - Welcome to IrishAstronomy.org!
Hi everyone.

I suppose it's time to introduce myself.
My name is Cathal Ferris, I'm currently living in either Galway where I work as an engineer in an enterprise security software corporation, and Limerick where I tend to spend weekends.

When I was a kid I had a very strong interest in astronomy, getting a half-decent Tasco 60mm scope and upgrading from that to an 8.75" f6 pier-mounted GEM newtonian that got a lot of use from the parent's hompeplace in dark-skied South Tipp.
After moving away to college and my parents moving house, I lost the pier mount but I brought the tube and mount away.

A decade later I got myself an EXT-70 from Lidl, and that kept me entertained for a year or two. Recently I found I was getting back to be more interested in looking up and doing simple afocal videoing with a digicam, and using registax to get images. I'm currently budgetting for a 10" lx200 or close equivalent. I came across the newtonian tube again and I decided I would do something useful with it. I built a simple and rough dobsonian mount and a sling to strap the altitude bearings last weekend. Suprisingly it gave good enough images given the primary mirror is cloudy and tarnished, but I may get it recoated if that doesn't cost a fortune.

I'm remembering my old observing techniques and getting to know the favourite starhops again, and I'm looking forwards to seeing if I can help anyone here if I can.

More
14 years 6 months ago #81508 by mjc
Welcome Cathal

I hope your renewed interest with astronomy rewards you - this is a good forum for exchanging experiences etc.

I had a quick look at cost of recoating primary mirrors and it isn't that expensive - looks like less the £30 in UK for your mirror. Of course shipping has to be added to this.

This crowd appear to be worth looking at - they'll also remove the old coating.

www.galvoptics.fsnet.co.uk/telescope7.htm

Mark

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds