K-Tec

What's your name? Introduce yourself to IFAS!

More
13 years 4 months ago #87318 by Pat_Dunne
Hi
Have had a life long interest and have decided after months of research to get CPC800, I would be delighted to get feed back from actual users.

Cheers
Pat

Celestron CPC 9.25
Celestron Ultima LX 8mm, 13mm, 17mm, 22mm, 32mm.
Starlight Microfocuser
A full set of Snickers Thermals

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #87705 by martinus
Hello Everyone. My name is Martin and I've been off the drink for... whoops, wrong forum! :laugh:

I'm a scientist/engineer from Armagh (trying to become Dr. Martin at the moment). I've have had my head in the clouds (and beyond) since I first recognised Orion after seeing it in a book as a child. I must admit that I only bought my first telescope about two years ago - it was a Tasco 114mm newt that was practically given to me after having been used a handful of times then kept in an attic since nineteen-eighty-something. The first time I saw a fuzzy Saturn through a terrible 4mm lens I was hooked and started researching OTAs, mounts and eye-pieces.

I now own a Meade SN-10 which I battle with on a regular basis - it satisfies the green astronomer (wow - what a view), engineer (I can improve this) and scientist (just a little more fine-tuning) in me. Keeping it collimated is a skill in itself but when I win the views are spectacular. The previous owner started a night-shift job and couldn't stand the light-pollution around Larne so I got a really good deal on it. I've hypertuned the LXD75 mount though it really isn't up to the job of carrying the OTA. I'll have to replace it with a EQ6 some day.

At the minute I'm hunting for an affordable Mak-Cas (Orion OMC 140 or an Intes M603 or something similar) that will give me great views of the planets. Here's hoping.

It's great to see that astronomy has such a fantastic community in Ireland. The information here on the forum is excellent; I'm really enjoying reading all the posts and looking at the photos. I've included my own modest 'shaky-cam' (i.e., held up to the eyepiece) photo of the moon and a photo of Venus rising over Belfast.

Clear skies everyone.
- Martin

Full size

Full size
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by martinus.

More
13 years 3 months ago #87776 by LUNAtic
Hello (again) fellow stargazers – it’s been some time!

I can’t believe its 5 years since I bought my Lidl Skylux in an effort to get back into astronomy and also signed up to this forum. Where has the time gone? I suppose getting married, building a house, moving in, endless DIY, changing job (twice!), and all the other bits in between didn’t help with my pursuit of all things astronomical. While I have done some observing it hasn’t been nearly enough. After Christmas I realised that it was time to celebrate the dark evenings so I dusted off the gear and got out observing again. And good timing too when I saw the BBC Stargazing programmes which provided plenty of encouragement. I hope to frequent the forum some more this year to pick up some of the great tips and insights provided here – keep up the good work. Who knows, maybe I’ll even get to an IFAS event this year. Now if only the clouds would clear…

Neil (LUNAtic)

Neil

Bear up and keep Ploughing on...

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #87822 by lionsden
Hi again from me too! Another prodigal son here, returning to the bosom of astronomy.

For those that don't know me, and the rest who need a refresher, my name is Leo.

I joined the forums here way back in Jan 2004 and knocked around here for a few years. I was also a member of Tullamore Astronomical Society (as it was known back then). At the time, there was never a day went by when I didn't log in here to keep up with all that was going on, and throwing in my tuppence worth now and again. Every night I could, I'd be out with the binos, scanning the night sky and losing myself in the great vastness of space.

Then I suppose life got in the way and I drifted away, astronomy have less and less time in my life. I just checked and it's been 3 years since I posted here last......:blush:

.... but anyhow, I'm back! Life has not gotten any less hectic, but I'm making the effort to make time for the better things. While I've been away I've gotten into photography a little, and I'm now hoping to combine the two.

Well Neil, that's two prodigal sons returned. Hopefully that'll be worth a fatted calf!

Leo @ Lionsden
Perhap because light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by lionsden.

More
13 years 3 months ago #87829 by dmcdona
Great to see both of you back and raring to go!. Looking forward to many tuppence worth's being thrown into the pot.

Not sure about a fatted calf but Seanie has put on a bit of weight since you were last here...

More
13 years 3 months ago #87836 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Introductions! - Welcome to IrishAstronomy.org!

dmcdona wrote: Not sure about a fatted calf but Seanie has put on a bit of weight since you were last here...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds