K-Tec

What's your name? Introduce yourself to IFAS!

More
16 years 8 months ago #49512 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Introductions! - Welcome to IrishAstonomy.org!
Welcome to the boards John! I'm also a fellow astronomer and fisherman! Any recommended spots along the Shannon in your neck of the woods? ;)

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 7 months ago #51678 by djones
Hi everyone,

After reading some of your blogs it would seem I'm in excellent company, fairly new to this forum and have found the information given very useful indeed.

As for myself, 24 and originally from Limerick, astronomy has led me in many respects to continue gazing over my head throughout my career as a deep sea navigator/deck officer. Probably lucky to find a practical use for it but could think of far worse hobbies to pursue.

Staying in Portmarnock while home but spend most of the year overseas enjoying the dark skies of the worlds oceans. Around for a few more weeks yet and plan to visit the SAC before I leave so although from your information I believe high powered telescopes and star finding software is the name of the game here anyone who does need advice on old-fashioned celestial calculations and useful tricks, by all means get in touch.

Rgds,

DJ

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
16 years 7 months ago #51683 by albertw
Hi DJ!

Welcome to the forums!

Staying in Portmarnock while home but spend most of the year overseas enjoying the dark skies of the worlds oceans. Around for a few more weeks yet and plan to visit the SAC before I leave so although from your information I believe high powered telescopes and star finding software is the name of the game here anyone who does need advice on old-fashioned celestial calculations and useful tricks, by all means get in touch.

There really are only a handful of people here with high powered gear and expensive software and cameras. They post more than the rest of us though! ;-)

Ask them to try and design a telescope mount with gyroscopes that will work well at sea and that should keep them occupied for a while!

Are the old-fashioned calculations used any more in practice or is GPS the only way used on the oceans?

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
16 years 6 months ago #51702 by djones
Replied by djones on topic Re:
Thanks for the reply, with regard to your question, yes we do calculate our positon daily using tried and tested methods of celestial observation as well as using sights to find the various error's in other onboard equipment.

As I'm sure your no doubt aware GPS/DGPS, systems are absolutley fantastic but when they fail (and they do alot!) or when an error has been applied by the powers that be, sight reduction continues to be a very accurate way of finding where you are without having to rely on a gyro or magnetic compass.

As for setting the task of creating a gyro stabilised mount for a scope at sea, well that will always be the dream but for the time being praying for a lull in rolling so you can shoot at least three stars is alot easier to achieve,

Cheers,

Dave Jones

More
16 years 6 months ago #51721 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Introductions! - Welcome to IrishAstonomy.org!
Hi James.
You are more then welcome to come along to the SAC meeting in October (Wednesday 3rd in Mary I college).
Not all here have high power CCD cameras or expensive high end scopes+ mounts, so dont feel like you are alone.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
16 years 6 months ago #51837 by djones
Replied by djones on topic meeting 3rd Oct.
Thanks Dave, what time does it start in mary I on wednesday night, I'm in Portmarnock this week but plan on travelling down to Limerick on wed where with any Luck I'll stop in,

Rgds,

Dave Jones

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds