K-Tec

What's your name? Introduce yourself to IFAS!

More
16 years 6 months ago #52924 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Introductions! - Welcome to IrishAstonomy.org!
Vagelis,

During mid-summer, what time does it get dark?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #52926 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Introductions! - Welcome to IrishAstonomy.org!

Vagelis,

During mid-summer, what time does it get dark?

That far south (Greece) it stays dark a little longer than us I'd say.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 6 months ago #52933 by Vagelis Tsamis
Replied by Vagelis Tsamis on topic Re: Introductions! - Welcome to IrishAstonomy.org!
Hi,

In mid June astronomical twilight ends at about 22:45 local time(evening) and starts at about 04:15 local time (morning).
The times for mid July are 22:40 & 04:30 and for mid August 22:05 & 05:05.
(We are at 37 degs LAT, 2 hrs ahead of UT)

In Ireland?

Sparta Astronomy Association / Observations Coordinator
International Occultation Timing Association / European Section, www.iota-es.de/

More
16 years 6 months ago #52934 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Introductions! - Welcome to IrishAstonomy.org!
Ah, so you get a few hours observing time.
During mid-summer here, we only get about 1-2 hours of really dark sky max.

More
16 years 6 months ago #52935 by Vagelis Tsamis
Replied by Vagelis Tsamis on topic Re: Introductions! - Welcome to IrishAstonomy.org!
That's really exotic! 1-2 hrs!
Well, u have no excuse now, start making plans for Greece!

Sparta Astronomy Association / Observations Coordinator
International Occultation Timing Association / European Section, www.iota-es.de/

More
16 years 6 months ago #52937 by artyfarty

This is really a good idea. We can organize it and have a great time. Maybe next spring or summer. This spring we will organize for the first time a Messier Marathon for southern Greece observers. An interesting bonus is a view of Omega Centauri.
In summer time things are much more safe as regards the weather. The site is Mt. Parnon at LAT 37deg 16min, 3hrs drive from Athens. We usually count 60 - 100 observers. Most of us prefer mountain camping (me included), and there is an option to stay either in the mount refuge (30 beds), where the charge is really minimal, or at hotels 40 min drive from the observing site.
I and a handfull of people use to visit the site EVERY single month of the year, regardless the weather, with or without telescopes, unless there is winter snowfall and the road is closed. But in the summer months it is a paradise there.
Well, it is up to you! You are all welcome!

Vagelis

Sounds like a nice trip, all I need to do now is convince herself that I should be allowed go :? Difficult but not impossible.

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds