• Tonybwf
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 4 months ago #58043 by Tonybwf
Bino mounting.. was created by Tonybwf
Hi all,

im wondering is it worth putting Celestron 15x70 binos on a mount? Im buying the 25x100 celestron ones soon am i better off waiting for the bigger ones or will the same mount do both binos?

what mount is best or what should i be looking for?

Regards
Tony

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #58050 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Bino mounting..
Hi Tony,

Happy New Year!

You can just about get away with hand-holding the 15x70s if seated and keeping your elbows on the arm rest of a deck chair (otherwise, you will need to mount them on a tripod. The tripod adapter that comes with the instruments is a bit "cheap" so it's worth looking for a better mounting bracket. The likes of AstroEngineering in the UK do good adapters.

The 25x100mm is a different beast altogether. I have a pair (along with a pair of 22x100mm) and a solid tripod is a must. There has been a lot of discussion over in the dedicated forum on Cloudy Nights at www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/postlist...t/0/Board/binoculars

You will probably do best to search for a tripod on eBay UK. There are a number of bargains to be had but avoid tripods that look flimsy and seem to be mostly plastic components. The 25x100mm are heavy and while a Manfrotto is ideal, it's gonna cost money. SLIK is another option as a brand.

What you really want is something that can extend to a reasonable height without toppling over or shaking like jelly every time you touch the binoculars (or in the wind).

Ideally, a parallelogram mount and details for constructing there are also on the CN forum with some other hints at www.astrowood.com/

atb,

John

More
16 years 4 months ago #58051 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Bino mounting..
I am SERIOUSLY gonna invest in a mount for my new bins. Even though they are the same size (standard) as my old 7X50, they are about half the weight. Objects seem to dance around more in them then they did with the heavier 7X50.

I never knew how useless bins were without a tripod until i bought the new ones. Maybe i just have to get used to the new lighter weight..........but all the same...........a tripod is essential really.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 4 months ago #58052 by gbyrne
Replied by gbyrne on topic Re: Bino mounting..
Alternatively you could try this....

ghonis2.ho8.com/garysbinochair4.html

Equipment:
Celestron NexStar 8 SE
Celestron NexImage
Canon 300D

More
16 years 4 months ago #58053 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Bino mounting..
LOL. I saw that contraption yesterday. It does look nice and comfy. I'd most likely kill myself in the process of attempting to construct one. I am useless at DIY.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 4 months ago #58059 by gbyrne
Replied by gbyrne on topic Re: Bino mounting..
Likewise! :-)

Equipment:
Celestron NexStar 8 SE
Celestron NexImage
Canon 300D

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds