• raymond
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
16 years 3 months ago #61747 by raymond
New Member and Beginner to Astronomy was created by raymond
Hello All,

I am a new member and a beginner too, have been reading some of the suff in the forum for the last while, and as a result bought the book "Turn left at Orion" which is really really good, wouldn't know where to start!

My brief story, I was asked a couple of years ago by an elderly gentleman to help him assemble a refractor telescope. As a result got to see Saturn, Jupiter and the Moon, and was very impressed. I was very lucky that at the time I was living very near Dowth, which has good, dark skies. Christmas gone past I got a Meade Telescope ETX/ 70 AT from my fiancé and have been very impressed with all the features of this telescope. Just got to see Orion Nebulae a few weeks ago, for the first time. A good friend, also an astronomer, who has a LARGE Meade telescope :lol: introduced me to the nebulae and constellations in the sky and also introduced me to this website.

Even though it is only a few weeks after Christmas, I have been reading books, magazines :roll: and yes I can't believe it, but I have actually just purchased a Celestron C6/RGT refractor :shock:

Today i got the chance to finally put the telescope together in the spare bedroom where it now stands. Everything went together very easily. The CG5 Equatorial mount is very strong.

I hope to give the telescope its first light over the next week or two and will write back as to how I get on.

All the best for now.
Raymond.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #61754 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: New Member and Beginner to Astronomy
Hi Raymond, and welcome to the site. "Turn left at Orion" is a good book, you'll find a lot more than the Orion Nebula to look at. Good luck with the new telescope!

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
16 years 3 months ago #61762 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: New Member and Beginner to Astronomy
Hi Raymond,
You'll find that there is a severe disease that spreads across the astronomical community like wildfire, its called aperture fever, whatever you do, don't look through a scope that's bigger then yours, otherwise your bank account will go into the red and you're wife will divorce you. :wink: :)

Seriously though, let us know how you get on with your new scope.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
16 years 3 months ago #61766 by Petermark
Replied by Petermark on topic Re: New Member and Beginner to Astronomy

purchased a Celestron C6/RGT refractor.

That beautiful scope is so robustly built it will be used by your great-great grandchildren!

Mark.
Anybody who says that Earthshine is reflected Sunshine is talking Moonshine.

More
16 years 3 months ago #61774 by jeyjey
Replied by jeyjey on topic Re: New Member and Beginner to Astronomy
Raymond --

Are you still in the Boyne-valley area? I'm up a bit north of Drogheda.

Good luck with the new scope!

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

More
16 years 3 months ago #61775 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: New Member and Beginner to Astronomy
Hi Raymond,
welcome to IFAS! Some other newbies have already been discussing about Turn Left at Orion -> see it here:

www.irishastronomy.org/boards/viewtopic.php?t=7999

Dave has got a good point re: aperture fever - be careful which scope you look through at your next opportune time.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds