• fguihen
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 3 months ago #62278 by fguihen
book recommendations required was created by fguihen
I need a recommendation of a few books.

Im looking for a book detailing Stars, a general overview with some layman pigeon science and then goes through examples we can see in the the sky nightly.

A book giving details on all of the Messier objects ( details like distance, size,formation etc etc). My reasoning is that the Messier catalog contains an example of most objects we can see in the sky so it would be a good way to learn about different types of stellar objects.

thanks all.

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." Dilbert.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #62290 by gnason
Replied by gnason on topic Re: book recommendations required

I need a recommendation of a few books.
Im looking for a book detailing Stars, a general overview with some layman pigeon science and then goes through examples we can see in the the sky nightly.
A book giving details on all of the Messier objects ( details like distance, size,formation etc etc). My reasoning is that the Messier catalog contains an example of most objects we can see in the sky so it would be a good way to learn about different types of stellar objects.
thanks all.

Well, as a general guide to the Universe, I'd suggest you get Dorling Kindersley "Universe". It's a wonderful up-to-date reference book in full colour written in layman's english. It's £30 on the sleeve but you may be able to get in cheaper on Amazon. I bought my copy from John Flannery who got a bundle in at a low price but was some time ago.

Regarding the Messier objects, I'd suggest you get The Year-Round Messier Marathon Field Guide..probably the best book available on this topic. Has the details you want and excellent finder charts.

Another highly recommended book is Nightwatch by Terence Dickinson - A Practical Guide to Viewing the Universe published by Firefly.

More
16 years 3 months ago #62314 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re: book recommendations required
I find the Night Sky Observer's Guide by Kepple and Sanner to be invaluable, log on to www.willbell.com/handbook/nitesky.htm and you can click onto a sample page. This book gives samples of many deep sky objects in the form of sketches and it gives descriptions of about how they would look through various sized scopes.

It's my bible.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

More
16 years 3 months ago #62330 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re: book recommendations required
Fintan, if you're going to the SDAS talk on Thursday I can bring them along so you can have a look see.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

• fguihen
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 3 months ago #62342 by fguihen
Replied by fguihen on topic Re: book recommendations required
Thanks Paul but John Flannery gave me a shout just after i posted this and quickly recommended a few books in the SDAS (John's)library.

Unfortunately I wont make it this thursday, Im off to hear the Essential John Williams in the Helix. Thought it was on friday when I signed up but just learned tonight its on thursday. Almost sold my ticket! The SDAS meetings only happen once per month so I hate missing them.

Thanks for the help guys.

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." Dilbert.

More
16 years 3 months ago #62345 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: book recommendations required
Hi Fintan,

Enjoy the gig! Give me a shout some stage and drop around to have a look at the books.

The ones I rang Fintan about were your recommendation Gordon of Harvard Pennington's "Year Round Messier Guide". Also, Mike Inglis wrote the excellent "Observer's Guide to Stellar Evolution" which tells the astrophysics behind the life-cycle of stars as well as highlights examples for the observer.

Inglis also wrote "A Field Guide to The Deep Sky Objects" which again tells the science behind the different classes of celestial objects. Highly recommended! The book doesn't go into great depth but whets the appetite for anyone interested in following up the stories in more detail.

Anyone close to Terenure is free to drop by anytime to look at the library!

all the best,

John

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds