Next Transit of Venus (5/6 June 2012) - not that long away

• JohnONeill
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
16 years 4 days ago #67003 by JohnONeill
Hi,

With the summer fast approaching (and the flowers blooming again!), at this mid-point, perhaps its time to think of the next transit of Venus.

Looking back at the last transit, in 2004 in Crete, I was still using film. See: homepage.eircom.net/~irishas/obs/tra.htm

I used only a 210 mm Tamron Lens and a 2x Converter. In retrospect the image was rather small (especially with film).

Any other experiences and lessons learn from 2004?,

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 days ago #67004 by Petermark
One of the most memorable comments made by a scientist during this time was when Harkness noted in 1882 that the next transit of Venus will occur, "when the June flowers are blooming in 2004,". The longer version of this quote reads:

"We are now on the eve of the second transit of a pair, after which there will be no other till the twenty-first century of our era has dawned upon the earth, and the June flowers are blooming in 2004. When the last transit season occurred the intellectual world was awakening from the slumber of ages, and that wondrous scientific activity which has led to our present advanced knowledge was just beginning. What will be the state of science when the next transit season arrives God only knows. Not even our children's children will live to take part in the astronomy of that day. As for ourselves, we have to do with the present ..."

Mark.
Anybody who says that Earthshine is reflected Sunshine is talking Moonshine.

More
16 years 4 days ago #67005 by ayiomamitis

Any other experiences and lessons learn from 2004?,

John,

Here is my effort in h-alpha: www.perseus.gr/Astro-Planet-Ven-Tr2004.htm

Not only am I eager to catch the 2012 event - the last opportunity for all of us - but it will be a great opportunity to travel to Australia/New Zealand.

Interested in a trip to the southern hemisphere in 2012? :wink:

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
16 years 3 days ago #67006 by fguihen
Can some of the seasoned astrophotographers please discuss the various methods of capturing this phenomenon. Im thinking it might be worth planning a trip south to capture this event, and it being so far away, there's plenty of time to prepare ( i.e buy gear!)!

So far i see projection, solar scope usage and just plain old telephoto lens's used.

If anyone has any expirience with any of these methods ( or any other) can they discuss them brieflya and mention any potential pitfalls or things to look out for with each method.

I have a question on using just a telephoto lens to caputre the event.
I have a 300mm lens on a canon 1.6X crop body.
What type of solar filter should i get, should i get a sheet of the bader stuff or are there better filters that I could get that will fit over my camera lens or can be adapted to fit over the camera lens?

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." Dilbert.

More
16 years 3 days ago #67007 by Petermark
I had a great view from Cork with Baader filters on tripod-mounted binocs plus same on 6" Celestron refractor.
A few clouds caused only a little bother.

(I always wonder why they say that the 8-year resonance between Venus and the Earth is a "coincidence".Its a very strange coincidence.....if it is one. Venus is always in the same place in the sky every 8 years. This only comes to our attention when it transits the sun for a second time after 8 years... almost to the day!
8 June 2004 transit.
5 June 2012 transit.
11 June 1996 it just missed the sun at Inferior Conjunction.
13 June 1988 Inferior Conjunction again.Etc.Etc.)

Mark.

More
16 years 3 days ago #67009 by Petermark
Animation of 2012 transit as seen from Belfast:
www.hmnao.com/nao/transit/V_2012/vta_2012_Belfast.gif

Mark.

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds