K-Tec

WOW What A Bow!!!

More
17 years 11 months ago #28341 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: WOW What A Bow!!!

I had initially created the Atmopspheric Observing board and I was dissapointed to see it removed, I really think it should be restored. Who are IFAS to tell Irish observers what is and isn't worth observing?

Not having a forum is not telling people that they cant obserrving something! We removed the forum because it wasnt being used. Only a couple of people were posting to it.

Similarly a couple of other forums will be getting reviewd fairly soon as they are hardly used.

It's comming up to summer time, this means we will hopefully be getting lots of reports of NLCs soon, agian, these are atmospheric phenomena.

NLC's are rare, and something that most people haven't seen. There will be a hanful of topics about this over the summer and they can go in the observing section.

The atmospheric section was there not more than a week or two when it got nuked .... hardly a fair chance for it to take off! It was gone before most people even knew it existed!

There seem to be some people on the boards who don't like all this atmospheric stuff being here so if there were to be a separate board it would get it out of those people's hair so to speak.

At the end of the day it's only a board so it doesn't really matter but I don't think poeple should be disscouraging Martin & co from posting the atmospheric stuff. I'm not talking about a lack of board here but about some of the comments that pop up in the atmospheric threads from time to time. IFAS is not about disscouraging observation but about fostering it.

€0.02

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 11 months ago #28344 by Conor
Replied by Conor on topic Re: WOW What A Bow!!!

Do we not have one here? I thought we did? Should we have one?

In my opinion, no. The reason being is that this is, after all, an astronomy forum. There are plenty of other RELEVANT places on the net to place such photos, like UK Weather World (which has been used for such items already, so why place them here as well? Is there an ego at stake?). The fact that the EAAS forum has added it does not concern me, no disrespect intended at all.

I know there are arguments 'for' and 'against' such photos being displayed here. I guess it comes down to relevancy. And I am not going to go back to the whole naming of names of people who have said to me "Why am I seeing rainbows and clouds on an astronomy boards?"

Martin et all, your pictures are nice. And you know what? The ones I have of cloud structures, sun pillars, and rainbows (yes, I too, have a meteorological interest) probably will not ever be seen here, as they are NOT RELEVANT!

:)

Seanie.

PS- if I painted my car with a dashing display of the Cygnus Rift going from the front bonnet, over the roof, and finishing at Saggita at the back bumper, would that allow me to keep putting up a picture of my car against the garden wall, the front door, my shadow on the passenger window, and its sillouette against the sunset? Just because its 'connected' to the astronomical sky? Don't think so, as this is not a car forum... :P

Seanie you have expressed your oponion in a matter of ways here before of why you dont think these sort of things should be posted on the forum. If you dont like then dont click on it! Everyone else likes them, if you dont like them then tough. Like said already NLC's will very soon be posted on this forum and i hope to god you wont go on and on about them as much as you do about this!

Now back to that bow lol It was great! Heres one of the shots i managed to get

Moderator of Photography Forum:

www.freeimagebrowser.com/gallery/index.php

More
17 years 11 months ago #28345 by pmgisme
Replied by pmgisme on topic Re: WOW What A Bow!!!
Jupiter's Great Red Spot is an "Atmospheric Phenomenon".
The Earth is an astronomical object,as is it's atmosphere with it's Auroras,
NLCs etc. Well worth being seen as Astronomical AS WELL AS terrestrial.

"For those who are awake...the Cosmos is ONE."

More
17 years 11 months ago #28360 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: WOW What A Bow!!!

Jupiter's Great Red Spot is an "Atmospheric Phenomenon".

Who said something about hair splitting earlier??? :wink:

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 11 months ago #28364 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: WOW What A Bow!!!
The sky is brighter inside the bow because rainbows are disks of light rather than sets of coloured rings!

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
17 years 11 months ago #28365 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: WOW What A Bow!!!

The sky is brighter inside the bow because rainbows are disks of light rather than sets of coloured rings!

Not quite no .... it's to do with preferential scattering, the inside of the main bow is artificially bright becasue the light that should have been going ot the part of the sky between the primary and secondary bow gets scattered into the inner bow. Then, because that light is now missing from between the two bows you get Alexander's dark belt or what ever it's called.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds