K-Tec

Feedback on the new site

More
15 years 7 months ago #73185 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:Feedback on the new site
darragh wrote:

• Previous Stickies and Announcements have now become ordinary threads and are thus lost to their place in time.
  • Just a matter of trawling back through the forums to get them again. I started doing that already before the last update was applied since the changeover. No harm to start again.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
    Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
    Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
    15 years 7 months ago #73187 by Seanie_Morris
    Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:Feedback on the new site
    michaeloconnell wrote:

darragh wrote:

• Remove the "Buy and Sell" section and use the "Classifieds" system instead.
  • You might hold off on this for the mo and we will discuss at Whirlpool.

Thanks.

Should be a no brainer in my opinion. The Classifieds section (as requested) allows for searching by a specific section, addition of images with automatic thumbnail production for what is for sale, and automatic expiration over a long period of time, all in a nice neat contained fashion. Much better than just a forum section.

It should be there, no doubt about it (from a webmaster's point of view) and people use it to their heart's content.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
    Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
    Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
    15 years 7 months ago #73190 by dave_lillis
    Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re:Feedback on the new site
    We can now definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel, seems like what's left are tidy up issues and are not show stoppers, which is great. :)

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
    Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
    but what a way to go. :)
    + 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
    15 years 7 months ago - 15 years 7 months ago #73203 by michaeloconnell
    Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re:Feedback on the new site
    I can understand some of the benefits alright Seanie.

Two downsides that I can see:

1: Items could be posted in there and may not be spotted for some time. If they were posted within the forum in the relevant section, this problem wouldn't occur. In general, if someome posts an item, they most likely want it to sell quickly.

2: Archive - All items posted in the forum automatically remain there unless removed by the user. This allows a history to develop and can be very useful if someone wants to gauge the secondhand value of an item they may want to sell. If they are automatically wiped off the system in the classifids, we would lose the benefit of other people's experience.
    Example: Say i want to sell a Canon DSLR camera but might not know what to charge. At least if I see two other ads in there over the last year+ and they have prices mentioned, it gives me a good idea what to charge. Conversely, if I want to buy a camera, it gives me a good idea if the price asked for in the advert is reasonable or not.

Just my 2cent.

Michael.
    Last edit: 15 years 7 months ago by michaeloconnell.

More
    15 years 7 months ago #73219 by stepryan
    Replied by stepryan on topic Re:Feedback on the new site
    i am getting a strange bug today where if i click on a forum i get a sql error and it does not show the forum. if i click on the last post i can see the post though. below is what comes up in my browser, both firefox and ie which i tried.

$5 "
    key value
    $file "/usr/home/darragh/public_html2/irishastronomy.org/includes/application.php"
    $line "124"
    $function "rendercomponent"
    $class "jcomponenthelper"
    $type "::"
    [args] Nested Array
    "
    $6 "
    key value
    $file "/usr/home/darragh/public_html2/irishastronomy.org/index.php"
    $line "68"
    $function "dispatch"
    $class "jsite"
    $type "->"
    [args] Nested Array
    "

Fatal error: Unable to load messages.\nDB function failed with error number 1030
    Got error 28 from storage engine SQL=SELECT a.*, t.message AS messagetext, m.mesid AS attachmesid, f.thread AS favthread, u.avatar, MAX(b.time) AS lastpost FROM tifas_fb_messages AS a JOIN tifas_fb_messages_text AS t ON a.thread = t.mesid LEFT JOIN tifas_fb_messages AS b ON b.thread = a.thread LEFT JOIN tifas_fb_attachments AS m ON m.mesid = a.id LEFT JOIN tifas_fb_favorites AS f ON f.thread = a.id && f.userid = 67 LEFT JOIN tifas_comprofiler AS u ON u.user_id = a.userid WHERE a.parent = '0' AND a.catid = 42 AND a.hold = '0' GROUP BY id ORDER BY ordering DESC , lastpost DESC LIMIT 0,20
    SQL =

SELECT
    a.*,
    t.message AS messagetext,
    m.mesid AS attachmesid,
    f.thread AS favthread, in /usr/home/darragh/public_html2/irishastronomy.org/components/com_kunena/sources/fb_debug.php on line 37

More
    15 years 7 months ago #73220 by darragh
    Replied by darragh on topic Re:Feedback on the new site
    stepryan wrote:

i am getting a strange bug today where if i click on a forum i get a sql error and it does not show the forum. if i click on the last post i can see the post though. below is what comes up in my browser, both firefox and ie which i tried.

The disk with the database become full which caused errors in the database which in turn caused the errors you saw.
    I have now freed up a load of space on this disk, so it should be ok now

Darragh

Moderators: darragh
    Time to create page: 0.115 seconds