K-Tec

The new website - A failure or success.

• paulevans
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 2 months ago #76494 by paulevans
Replied by paulevans on topic Re:The new website - A failure or success.
Wasn't there a stipulation that images had to be taken in the previous month - whatever the weather? A sure way to cut down on contributions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago #76496 by phoenix
Replied by phoenix on topic Re:The new website - A failure or success.

Wasn't there a stipulation that images had to be taken in the previous month - whatever the weather? A sure way to cut down on contributions.

Emmmmm. It was a monthly competition Paul.

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

• paulevans
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 2 months ago #76498 by paulevans
Well yes Kieran, but it was also a themed competition. So then you had to take a photo of Galaxies In January, whatever the weather. One or the other stipulation is fine, but applying both cut down the number of contributions to the extent that they dried up allowing TPTB to quietly forget about the whole thing.

More
15 years 2 months ago #76500 by phoenix
Replied by phoenix on topic Re:The new website - A failure or success.
Then make it quarterly and open to any objects apart from clouds :-(

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

More
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #76501 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:The new website - A failure or success.
John Murphy wrote:

Personally I think more has been lost than gained, and to this extent while the new site looks cooler, it is in no way better funtionally, it is worse. But hey I would like to know what the gains were, maybe I can use them to compensate for all the shortcomings.

Hi John,
thanks for your posts. The items added were (among other things):

1) An interactive Event Calendar for people to post when they had upcoming events, a section of which is fed from this on the homepage for quick-viewing.

2) A Classifieds section seperate from the forums for anyone to post items for sale in an environment that allowed image attachment and quick-search when requested. By request (I add forlornly), this was then later demolished.

3) The use of Joomla for CMS management by those who could, in real-time, update, add, or take away sections and modules on the site.

4) An Articles section that users could upload to in their own time their own penmanships.

5) a Blog feature for members to write an online diary of club events, musings, observing reports - anything at all.

NONE of the above were on the old site, and only through the move were achieved with this new site. It is not the Web Team's fault nor those of the Administration if users don't partake in their online astronomical community, especially since, through a vocal majority of those on these boards well over a year ago, wanted these additions implemented.

Accuse me of speaking my mind, but some of those that were staunch in wanting these new additions have since rebelled and wanted things changed back or removed.

And, for the record, nearly all the hard work of the 'Web Team' was Darragh, he gets the credit where credit's due in making sure these boards worked as best they could when the transition was made. It was no easy feat to achieve, and took many man hours of free time. Still, we do appreciate your feedback and suggestions

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.
Last edit: 15 years 2 months ago by Seanie_Morris.

• paulevans
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 2 months ago #76502 by paulevans
An excellent idea Kieran!

Moderators: darragh
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds