Sugarloaf on Friday?

2 months 3 days ago #107835 by mykc
Sugarloaf on Friday? was created by mykc
Hi All.

The forecast is good for tomorrow evening, but not for Sat or Sun. Anyone interested in an observing session at Sugarloaf? I haven't had an opportunity to get out in ages and am dying to set up under a dark(ish) sky.

Cheers,
Mike

Celestron 280 mm f/10 SCT
CG-5 mount
Toolbox full of bits n' bobs
Thermal underwear

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 3 days ago #107836 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Sugarloaf on Friday?
Sorry, Mike.
I won't be able to come.
I have a mucus infection.
Hope you do get others.

Clear skies,

Aubrey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 3 days ago - 2 months 3 days ago #107837 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Replied by Until_then-Goodnight! on topic Sugarloaf on Friday?
Hi Mike, 

Many thanks for the invite. I won't be able to make tomorrow night as my wife and I welcomed a baby boy into the world yesterday. 

Another time for sure. And hope you feel better soon Aubrey.

Clear skies, 

Darren. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 3 days ago #107838 by mykc
Replied by mykc on topic Sugarloaf on Friday?
That's a shame Aubrey, I am planning to tackle some of the targets in Aquila that you have described here recently.

Get well soon.

Mike

Celestron 280 mm f/10 SCT
CG-5 mount
Toolbox full of bits n' bobs
Thermal underwear
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 3 days ago #107839 by mykc
Replied by mykc on topic Sugarloaf on Friday?
Heartiest congratulations to you and your wife. There is no more important thing than bringing a new life into the world. I wish you every joy with your son.

Mike

Celestron 280 mm f/10 SCT
CG-5 mount
Toolbox full of bits n' bobs
Thermal underwear
The following user(s) said Thank You: Until_then-Goodnight!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 3 days ago #107840 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Sugarloaf on Friday?

mykc wrote: That's a shame Aubrey, I am planning to tackle some of the targets in Aquila that you have described here recently.

Get well soon.

Mike


Oh darn it!
I have no idea how I get this awful infection. 
All I know is I am on a week long course of penicillin antibiotics starting today. 
And to think we have had 5 clear nights in a row!!
Still, we still have October and November to look forward to. 

I hope some of our good people join you on Friday night. 

Kind regards, 

Aubrey. 


 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 3 days ago #107841 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Sugarloaf on Friday?

Until_then-Goodnight! wrote: Hi Mike, 

Many thanks for the invite. I won't be able to make tomorrow night as my wife and I welcomed a baby boy into the world yesterday. 

Another time for sure. And hope you feel better soon Aubrey.

Clear skies, 

Darren. 


Thank you for that wonderful news, Darren!!
Hearty congratulations to you and you wife.
And to think the child's Dad is a most enthusiastic astronomer!

Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Until_then-Goodnight!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 2 days ago #107843 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Replied by Until_then-Goodnight! on topic Sugarloaf on Friday?
Very many thanks for your kind words, Mike! 

Skies look good this morning, hopefully it stays clear for you tonight. 

All the best, 

Darren. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 2 days ago #107844 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Replied by Until_then-Goodnight! on topic Sugarloaf on Friday?
Hi Aubrey, 

You're more than welcome, and very many thanks for your kind words. We have a future observer in the making - all he does is look around!

Take care and kindest regards, 

Darren. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 2 days ago #107845 by lunartic
Replied by lunartic on topic Sugarloaf on Friday?
Sorry, Mike, no transport. I'll be out the back garden instead.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 2 days ago #107846 by mykc
Replied by mykc on topic Sugarloaf on Friday?
No worries Paul. Mike

Celestron 280 mm f/10 SCT
CG-5 mount
Toolbox full of bits n' bobs
Thermal underwear

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 2 days ago #107848 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Sugarloaf on Friday?
Perhaps some of you could share as to what you observed on Friday night.
We are going to experience very heavy rain for the next 7 days and nights after all.

Kind regards,

Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Until_then-Goodnight!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 day ago #107849 by RandomPillars
Replied by RandomPillars on topic Sugarloaf on Friday?
Hey, 

Hope some of you got out last night. I went up to Dunsink with the family. Was really nice actually.  Let me know if yous got out and if so, how it went.

But far more importantly,  CONGRATULATIONS DARREN. Hope everyone is doing well. If he is not your first, i cant scare you. If he is, you're in for a whole world of hurt .... and S$%€

Seriously though, warmest congrats man. 

Sean

"... quit trying to upset and disturb Dr. Venkman..."
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158, Until_then-Goodnight!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 day ago #107850 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Replied by Until_then-Goodnight! on topic Sugarloaf on Friday?
Hi Sean, 

Very many thanks for your lovely message. Mother and baby doing well. This our second child, so we're somewhat more prepared for the sleepness nights. At least I can now show him stars if refuses to sleep...win win! 

But seriously, 'thank you!', and sounds like you and your family had a great night in Dunsink....seems like a fantastic place. 

Kindest regards, 

Darren. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 day ago #107851 by mykc
Replied by mykc on topic Sugarloaf on Friday?
I managed three backyard observing sessions during the nice weather last week (my first observations in five months!), focusing, as usual, on double stars and other targets suitable for my suburban location. I used a 120 mm refractor (SkyWatcher 120ED) and highlights included the following.
The first four are in Bootes:
Izar (magnitudes 2.6 & 4.8, separation 2.8"), a really bright double that is a close split at 150X.
Alkalurops, a fine triple with a brilliant white primary (mag. 2.8) widely separated (109") from a close pair (magnitudes 7.1 & 7.6, separation 2.2").
STF1890 (39 Boo), bright, pale yellow twins (magnitudes 6.3 & 6.7, separation 2.6"), nice and close at 150X
STF1871, similar white stars (magnitudes 8.0 & 8.1, separation 1.9"), almost touching at 150X.
The next set are in Corona Borealis:
STF2032, a fine double of bright white stars (magnitudes 5.6 & 6.5, separation 7"), with a hint of lemon colour, well separated at 150X. This is a physical double. There is a distant third component (mag 10.8, separation 93"), but I did not even notice it at the eyepiece.
STT305, a bright, deep yellow primary accompanied by a ghostly secondary (magnitudes 6.4 & 10.2, separation 5.7", physical). The double is wide at 255X but I found it difficult to see the secondary at lower magnifications.
STF1973, a mildly unequal double of yellow stars (magnitudes 7.6 & 8.8, separation 31", physical), wide at 57X. The pair are in the middle of one side of a triangle formed by fainter field stars, making a nice pattern.
STF1965 (7/Zeta-2 CrB), mildly unequal, bright, steely-white pair (magnitudes 5.0 & 5.9, separation 6"). A fine sight at 150X.
STF1964, a nice visual triple that is actually thought to be a physical quintuple system. As far as I can tell, what I saw was the CD pair (C is actually a narrow CE pair) (magnitudes 8.1 & 9.0, separation 1.5") which was split by a hair at 255X, and the inseparable AB combination about 15" distant.
STF1932, a pair of closely matched, pale yellow stars (magnitudes 7.3 & 7.4, separation 1.6") that was very close but clearly split at 255X. Very nice!
The last batch are all in Aquila and include several targets recently recommended by Aubrey. Starting with Aubrey's targets:
STF2492, a bright, golden primary with a far fainter secondary (magnitudes 5.3 & 8.3, separation 3.2") that is close at 190X. This observation is from Nov 2018.
STF2428, a triple, but I only noticed the two brighter components (magnitudes 8.2 & 10.3, separation 6"), a relatively faint, white primary and a tiny secondary, which were well separated at 150X. The bright, yellow Deneb al Okab (Eps/13 Aql) dominates the field.
STF2408, a faint, mildly unequal, double (magnitudes 8.5 & 9.4, separation 2.3"). The stars are white with a hint of yellow and were split by a hair at 255X.
STF2404, mildly unequal yellow stars (magnitudes 6.9 & 7.8, separation 3.5") that are nice and close at 112X. The colours make this an attractive double.
Two other doubles listed by Aubrey were not resolved, BU265 (magnitudes 7.4 & 9.2, separation 1.5") and STF2402 (magnitudes 8.9 & 9.3, separation 1.5"). The first is probably beyond the limits of what my scope can accomplish and the windy conditions and moderate seeing last night may have contributed in the second case. Finally, here are a few other nice targets in Aquila.
STF2583 (Pi Aql), a difficult double of similar, pale yellow stars (magnitudes 6.3 & 6.75, separation 1.4") that were touching at 255X.
STF2562, a nice, easy triple. Two unequal, white stars (magnitudes 6.95 & 8.7, separation 27") are accompanied by a third star that matches the secondary (mag. 9.9. 117" from primary).
STF2397 (5 Aql), a fine double of pale yellow stars (magnitudes 5.9 & 7.0, separation 13", physical), slightly unequal and nicely split at 57X.
STF2424 (magnitudes 5.3 & 9.3, separation 21", optical), STF2447 (magnitudes 6.8 & 9.6, separation 14"), STF2531 (magnitudes 8.1 & 10.1, separation 31", optical) and STF2533 (magnitudes 7.4 & 10, separation 22", physical) are all highly unequal doubles that are easily resolved.
STT368 is a very difficult double of pale yellow stars (magnitudes 7.5 & 8.5, separation 1.1") that was just resolved in moments of better seeing on Wed night, in calm conditions.
The last on this long list is a little gem. STF2426 is a colour contrast, yellow/blue, double (magnitudes 7.5 & 9.0, separation 17") that is nicely separated at 57X. It's a pretty combination that looks like a "mini Albireo".

Thanks for reading.
Mike

Celestron 280 mm f/10 SCT
CG-5 mount
Toolbox full of bits n' bobs
Thermal underwear
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158, Fermidox, RandomPillars, Until_then-Goodnight!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 day ago #107852 by RandomPillars
Replied by RandomPillars on topic Sugarloaf on Friday?
Great report Mike.

I've never really gone down the road of hunting down and separating stars but it seems there are a lot of people in the community that love it. I'll have to start. Thanks again.

Sean

"... quit trying to upset and disturb Dr. Venkman..."
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 13 hours ago #107853 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Sugarloaf on Friday?

mykc wrote: I managed three backyard observing sessions during the nice weather last week (my first observations in five months!), focusing, as usual, on double stars and other targets suitable for my suburban location. I used a 120 mm refractor (SkyWatcher 120ED) and highlights included the following.
The first four are in Bootes:
Izar (magnitudes 2.6 & 4.8, separation 2.8"), a really bright double that is a close split at 150X.
Alkalurops, a fine triple with a brilliant white primary (mag. 2.8) widely separated (109") from a close pair (magnitudes 7.1 & 7.6, separation 2.2").
STF1890 (39 Boo), bright, pale yellow twins (magnitudes 6.3 & 6.7, separation 2.6"), nice and close at 150X
STF1871, similar white stars (magnitudes 8.0 & 8.1, separation 1.9"), almost touching at 150X.
The next set are in Corona Borealis:
STF2032, a fine double of bright white stars (magnitudes 5.6 & 6.5, separation 7"), with a hint of lemon colour, well separated at 150X. This is a physical double. There is a distant third component (mag 10.8, separation 93"), but I did not even notice it at the eyepiece.
STT305, a bright, deep yellow primary accompanied by a ghostly secondary (magnitudes 6.4 & 10.2, separation 5.7", physical). The double is wide at 255X but I found it difficult to see the secondary at lower magnifications.
STF1973, a mildly unequal double of yellow stars (magnitudes 7.6 & 8.8, separation 31", physical), wide at 57X. The pair are in the middle of one side of a triangle formed by fainter field stars, making a nice pattern.
STF1965 (7/Zeta-2 CrB), mildly unequal, bright, steely-white pair (magnitudes 5.0 & 5.9, separation 6"). A fine sight at 150X.
STF1964, a nice visual triple that is actually thought to be a physical quintuple system. As far as I can tell, what I saw was the CD pair (C is actually a narrow CE pair) (magnitudes 8.1 & 9.0, separation 1.5") which was split by a hair at 255X, and the inseparable AB combination about 15" distant.
STF1932, a pair of closely matched, pale yellow stars (magnitudes 7.3 & 7.4, separation 1.6") that was very close but clearly split at 255X. Very nice!
The last batch are all in Aquila and include several targets recently recommended by Aubrey. Starting with Aubrey's targets:
STF2492, a bright, golden primary with a far fainter secondary (magnitudes 5.3 & 8.3, separation 3.2") that is close at 190X. This observation is from Nov 2018.
STF2428, a triple, but I only noticed the two brighter components (magnitudes 8.2 & 10.3, separation 6"), a relatively faint, white primary and a tiny secondary, which were well separated at 150X. The bright, yellow Deneb al Okab (Eps/13 Aql) dominates the field.
STF2408, a faint, mildly unequal, double (magnitudes 8.5 & 9.4, separation 2.3"). The stars are white with a hint of yellow and were split by a hair at 255X.
STF2404, mildly unequal yellow stars (magnitudes 6.9 & 7.8, separation 3.5") that are nice and close at 112X. The colours make this an attractive double.
Two other doubles listed by Aubrey were not resolved, BU265 (magnitudes 7.4 & 9.2, separation 1.5") and STF2402 (magnitudes 8.9 & 9.3, separation 1.5"). The first is probably beyond the limits of what my scope can accomplish and the windy conditions and moderate seeing last night may have contributed in the second case. Finally, here are a few other nice targets in Aquila.
STF2583 (Pi Aql), a difficult double of similar, pale yellow stars (magnitudes 6.3 & 6.75, separation 1.4") that were touching at 255X.
STF2562, a nice, easy triple. Two unequal, white stars (magnitudes 6.95 & 8.7, separation 27") are accompanied by a third star that matches the secondary (mag. 9.9. 117" from primary).
STF2397 (5 Aql), a fine double of pale yellow stars (magnitudes 5.9 & 7.0, separation 13", physical), slightly unequal and nicely split at 57X.
STF2424 (magnitudes 5.3 & 9.3, separation 21", optical), STF2447 (magnitudes 6.8 & 9.6, separation 14"), STF2531 (magnitudes 8.1 & 10.1, separation 31", optical) and STF2533 (magnitudes 7.4 & 10, separation 22", physical) are all highly unequal doubles that are easily resolved.
STT368 is a very difficult double of pale yellow stars (magnitudes 7.5 & 8.5, separation 1.1") that was just resolved in moments of better seeing on Wed night, in calm conditions.
The last on this long list is a little gem. STF2426 is a colour contrast, yellow/blue, double (magnitudes 7.5 & 9.0, separation 17") that is nicely separated at 57X. It's a pretty combination that looks like a "mini Albireo".

Thanks for reading.
Mike


Let me sit down on Tuesday and check through your most extraordinary list of double and triple stars, Mike.
I have too much on today and Monday.
I am very certain there are ones here I have never split.

Kind regards,

Aubrey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 4 weeks ago - 1 month 4 weeks ago #107854 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Replied by Until_then-Goodnight! on topic Sugarloaf on Friday?
Hi Mike,

I very much enjoyed reading your observational notes, so thank you for posting them. Your description of STF1973, and STF2426 have captured my interest, and will encourage me to view them through the eyepiece during my next observational session.

Clear skies,

Darren.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 4 weeks ago #107855 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Sugarloaf on Friday?
Well done on splitting all these doubles and triples in Bootes, Corona Borealis and Aquilae, Mike.
I can see you use your GoTo to its full potential with your very fine Sky Watcher 120 ED achromatic refractor.
I am sure you knew you were going to have great nights when you had great success splitting Izar at 150X. I know I do when my scope splits it at 112X and 140X.
I did split Alkalurops at 112X on Monday 10th June.
39 Bootis I split at 112X in 2018.
But I have never had the pleasure of observing Stf 1871 in Bootis at all. Let's wait until 2020.

Corona Borealis is not a well known constellation for me as yet.
I have only observed 1 or 2 doubles within its borders.

I recognise Stf 2492 as 23 Aquilae. Successful split at 140X and 167X.
I'm sorry you could not see Stf 2428 as a triple star. Maybe we need a visit to the Sugarloaf car park in 2020 to see the C star. But well done on seeing A and B as a clean split.
I had a clean split on Stf 2408 at 112X and 140X. Both white to me.
I see both stars of Stf 2404 as orange and orange. They point downwards -a truly magnificent sight at 112X.
BU 265 would be tough on a windy night. I require 225X to split it for sure.
I have split Pi Aquilae many times; so I am leaving him alone until 2020.
I have split 11 Aquilae (Stf 2424) and Stf 2426 in the past.

But none of the following have I ever observed in Aquila:

Stf 2428, Stf 2447, Stf 2531, Stf 2533 and Stt 368.

I will have to have a go at those 5 in 2020.
There are definitely many more doubles listed in Aquila for me to check out in the future.
Right now I am waiting for an opportunity to observe more doubles and triples in Cassiopeia -especially now that I am feeling much better after my recent illness.

Clear skies to you, Mike and everyone else.

Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Until_then-Goodnight!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum