Ireland's Largest Astronomy Community - Online!
Link up with thousands of Irish Astronomers and others from around the world!
Welcome to IFAS, an umbrella group of Astronomical Clubs & Societies throughout Ireland represented by this website and its committee. Through this portal, you can meet and greet over 2,100 fellow Amateur Astronomers and Enthusiastss. Get tips and tricks with your telescope, shortcuts on astrophotography techniques and view stunning pictures of deep sky and planetary objects, download tools of the trade and buy that bargain in our buy and sell section, available FREE to members.
Join over 2,100 registered like-minded Amateur Astronomers from Ireland and around the world!
No other website exists like this in Ireland. Joining only takes a minute and it's FREE. You can view topics without registering, but you won't be able to post content unless you are registered. Register Here >>
Midlands AC Presents COSMOS 2014 - April 4th to 6th at Athlone
Hosted by Midlands Astronomy Club and Ireland's only weekend-long Astronomy Star Party, COSMOS 2014 makes its way to the luxurious 4 Star Shamrock Lodge Hotel in County Westmeath over the weekend of April 4th to 6th.
The Guest Speakers include:
- Mr. Will Gater Astronomer, Science Write, and author of "The Practical Astronomer".
- Dr. Xavier Pellicer Geologist with the Geological Survey of Ireland, working with NASA.
- Dr. Eamon O'Gorman Theoretical Physics Postdoctoral Researcher at Trinity College Dublin.
- Ms. Mary Mulvihill Science author and broadcaster from Ingenious Ireland.
- Mr. William Bean Irish Astronomer & Blogger.
- Mr. Keith Geary Irish Astrophotograher.
- Mr. Michael O'Connell Midlands Astronomy Club
- Mr. Declan Molloy Midlands Astronomy Club
Once of Ireland's best loved astronomical get-togethers, the weekend offers visitors almost everything from:
* Lectures by experienced and renowned people
* Exhibits and Displays
* Astro Buy & Sell
* Observing (2 nights worth)
* Saturday Night Dinner Party
* The Annual Cosmos Table Quiz
* Great opportunity to get to know like-minded amateur astronomers from around Ireland.
More details from the forums here or from the MAC website: www.midlandsastronomy.com including accommodation list and programme of events.
IFAS Astrophotography Competition - Vote for January and December's entries
December's entries are ready to be voted upon, with a great prize on offer of a Orion SkyQuest XT6 Classic Dobsonian Telescope, kindly sponsored by Scopes & Space Ltd. Janu
To vote on the entries, or take part in our competition, you must be a registered member of our forums. Registration is free, and takes less than 2 minutes. The theme for February's competition is on Astronomy Animations with a prize of a pair of Celestron Skymaster 15 X 70 Binoculars!
January's entries are also open for polling, with a prize of a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II camera lens, kindly sponsored by Ktec Telescopes.
And the IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2013 is...
The nominations came in, the votes were cast, and the IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2013 is Carl O'Beirne!
Jupiter, Venus, The Leonids and Orion - Winter is here!
November offers many delights for Astronomers: Jupiter with its 4 Galilean moons rides high in the sky all night, Venus at sunset, and Mars after midnight, plus the Leonids on November 17th - Winter observing has begun! All heralded by one of our favourite constellations: Orion.