K-Tec

Skellig Star Party 2016 Charity BBQ

More
7 years 8 months ago #106059 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Skellig Star Party 2016 Charity BBQ
Good evening, all.

Would anyone like to share as what observations you had at Ballinskellig Star Party.
I for one would most certainly enjoy that!
Thank you.

Aubrey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #106064 by john5
Replied by john5 on topic Skellig Star Party 2016 Charity BBQ
As always great weekend was had ,nice to meet up with friends old and new. Congrats on a job well done by the organisers and thanks to our chef Kevin for fine fare on the lawn!
On the Saturday skies didnt clear till after 1am Aubrey so my plans for The Lagoon , Trifid and Sagittarius went a bit astray!
Brought out the Orion Optics 300 anyway and had spectacular views of M31, M32 and M101, the three of them hanging against a truly dark sky. Spectacular! Also snagged M57 , Ring Nebula, with some colour . M81 and M82 never fail to dissapoint.
Stevie and some of the lads from NIAAS Jonathan and Jason went searching for the Helix Nebula (NGC 7293) in Aquarius so I got my first views of this grey ball dangling in the eyepiece. Also showed me Sculptor Galaxy , I think!
Getting late and tired at that stage so away to leaba !

John.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy

More
7 years 7 months ago #106065 by flt158
Thank you, John, for your wonderful report.
1 am is seriously late for observing alright.
And I haven't looked at anything in Sagittarius for 2 decades! So well dome on them.
I take it your Orion Optics 300 is a Newtonian reflector (?)
That is amazing that you saw some colour in M 57.
Plus seeing the Helix is truly rare!
Thanks again, John.
See you at next year's Cosmos.

Aubrey.

More
7 years 7 months ago #106066 by stevie
Replied by stevie on topic Skellig Star Party 2016 Charity BBQ
Just as a follow on to John's report, we did indeed see NGC7293 (Helix nebula) and the Sculptor galaxy NGC253, also known as the Silver Coin galaxy. I had first seen NGC253 at the SSP two years ago, and these were our two primary targets for the weekend, as they are both difficult objects from up here. I've been trying to see the Helix for the last two months, but have had no luck, always an inconvenient cloud or tree in the way.

There was no observing at all on the Friday night, and we thought the Saturday would be the same, even though Michael kept confidently predicting that clear skies were on the way. Well, he proved to be right in the end. there were clear patches from around 9pm onwards, but the skies opened after midnight, and by 1am, it was clear from horizon to horizon. I kept watching the area where I knew the Helix and NGC253 would be, and once it became clear, we got out the Evo 9.25, as we felt it would be quicker to find things with it than the 12" dob.

The first target was the Helix, and it showed well at just below 80X with the 31mm Nagler and UHC filter. We all took a couple of turns to have a look at this rare object, and John, Ian Morison and a couple of others all had a good look. On to the Sculptor galaxy next, and the view in the same combo, minus the UHC filter, was breathtaking. This is the second best galaxy in the whole sky (in my opinion) after M31, and again, we all took a bit of time to view it. Gordon only knows when we might get another chance!

We also had a look at M74 and then M57. We viewed M57 using Jonathan's 11mm Explore Scientific 82 degree, and also his 6mm Delos, at just below 400x!, The view in the Explore was excellent, and the view in the Delos was surprisingly good given the extreme magnification.

I also enjoyed lovely views of M31 and M32 in John's 12" dob. M31 stretched right across the field of view, and the spiral arms were well seen. The dob I mentioned earlier that we had with us is also a 12" Orion Optics UK, just like John's, and after seeing the views in his, I regretted not being able to get the opportunity to have a spin through Sagittarius and Scorpio, which were both long gone by the time it cleared. Even M11 in Scutum was almost below the horizon by the time we got going. But, there's always next time.

Many Thanks to Roy, Kevin and all the guys for all their hard work organising the event, and a special thanks to Steve for the excellent liquid refreshments on the Friday night. It was great to catch up with everyone again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

More
7 years 7 months ago #106067 by flt158
It was about 4 years ago when I had the privilege of observing M 57 at 374X in my 158 mm apo. It was mind blowing!
I seem to remember that M74 is that galaxy in Pisces.
So well done on that one.
And 80X on the Helix just shows what can be done under really dark skies.
Thank you for your report, Stevie!

Aubrey.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds