K-Tec

Malahide, Co Dublin ... light pollution?

• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
7 years 5 months ago #106178 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Malahide, Co Dublin ... light pollution?
Hi Kinch,

I am aware of a fairly good sample of images related to the shipwreck including the one above (of course, thanks for the image). According to a blog entry dated nine months ago and which I stumbled upon over the weekend, it seems the sea washed away whatever remnants of the wreck were still available.

In other words, wreck (and photography at night) no more. :-(

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #106179 by Kinch
Replied by Kinch on topic Malahide, Co Dublin ... light pollution?
Next weekend I'll be in Blackrock (Co. Louth).....not too far up the coast. I'll check re what's is left of the wreck (if anything) and report back here by Tuesday of next week.....unless someone else can let us know beforehand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ayiomamitis

• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
7 years 5 months ago #106183 by ayiomamitis
Many thanks for the possible scouting mission!

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
7 years 5 months ago #106208 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Malahide, Co Dublin ... light pollution?
As you mention, there are some great Ryanair deals Dublin to Athens. I was in Athens three weeks ago visiting the city, day trip to Delphi and two days on Hydra. The return ticket was €110.
Well worth the trip.
I couldn't get over the amount of graffiti though-especially on the walls of the College of Fine Arts-and it wasn't the students!!
Best of luck planning a trip over.

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
7 years 5 months ago #106209 by ayiomamitis
Hi John,

RyanAir gets a lot of bad press and, perhaps, justifiably so but their pricing on airline tickets is basically second to none. The price you quote for your trip is indeed very good and such good deals do come up quite often (not just for Dublin-Athens).

As for the graffiti, it is a residue of modern-day society and especially here in Greece. It really saddens me since nothing is sacred ... not even stunning marble statues such as those near the Academy of Athens. I really do not understand the adrenaline rush these idiots experience in destructing works of art such as statues or even just plain walls, buses, train coaches etc. It is simply part of the anarchy which best describes modern day Greece and under the guise of "total democracy".

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnomahony

More
7 years 5 months ago #106210 by Kinch
Replied by Kinch on topic Malahide, Co Dublin ... light pollution?
I had a beautiful morning walk on the beach at Baltray last Friday - so glad I went.
The wreck is still there but according to one local person I spoke to, the storms last winter caused the bow of the vessel to topple. It was obviously quite a small vessel ....as per the photos. One other young photographer was there that morning....taking some photos for a school project. (Good for me because you can now get a good sense of scale on what is left of the wreck).

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds