K-Tec

Triple Planet & Lunar Conjunction 9th October 2015

• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #104983 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Triple Planet & Lunar Conjunction 9th October 2015
An image taken this morning, the moon is blown out, but all the major players are still there. This was taken from Coliemore Harbour in Dalkey with Dalkey Island providing a nice foreground object.

I was disappointed that I could not see Mercury, time was against me as I had to get back home for work, damn job. :pinch:

www.flickr.com/photos/32880031@N03/22030...n/dateposted-public/

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by lunartic_old.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, Kinch, flt158, Fermidox

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #104986 by flt158
Thank you, Paul, for your persistence in the taking of this image.

You are a truly versatile dedicated amateur astronomer. Hats off to you! (Woolly ones especially!)

I had very cloudy skies in Ranelagh. The clouds simply were not for moving on Friday morning in the eastern sky.

Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnflannery

More
8 years 6 months ago #105035 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Triple Planet & Lunar Conjunction 9th October 2015
I have to say, Murphy's Law didn't get any better then this!

Every morning, since October 8th to 10th, and then from October 12th to 16th, I was looking at a clear or partly clouded skies before dawn, camera and (mostly) 70mm refactor or 10 X 50 binos at the ready and in use. And what do ya know happens? The two crucial mornings of the 11th and 17th were completely overcast and groggy.

Still, the mornings were nice, excellent sunrises, a few sun pillars spotted, and of course the planets. Though I do have to admit, I couldn't get Mercury on any morning as, from my location, I was just pipped to it by thick early morning haze and fog along the ground. I think I spotted it once, but only for a few shimmering seconds.

The next time Venus, Mars and Jupiter get as close as they did on Saturday morning is January 2021.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnflannery

• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
8 years 6 months ago #105040 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Triple Planet & Lunar Conjunction 9th October 2015
The three planets looked very impressive this morning. The weather forecast last night did not predict clear skies, otherwise I would have gotten up earlier to attempt some imaging.
Wednesday week is when they are clustered close together here's hoping for clear skies.
Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnflannery, flt158

More
8 years 6 months ago #105041 by flt158
Unfortunately there is rain coming tonight.
It will depend on what time the skies will finally clear in the early hours of Wednesday morning -if it does.

Aubrey.

More
8 years 6 months ago #105061 by Fermidox
The trio made a nice obtuse triangle this morning, Venus 2° from Jupiter and 2½° from Mars -

The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, lunartic_old, Kinch, flt158

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds