K-Tec

IFAS invited to Starmus, Tenerife Sept 22nd to 27th

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #101795 by manic_dave
Such illustrious company, hope you got the window seat.

www.skelligstarparty.com
Europe's Darkest Skies
Top 4 Locations in the world to Stargaze by Paste Magazine.
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by manic_dave.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #101832 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Coverage of Starmus 2014, Tenerife
Hi All,

Just a quick check in. I have been here in Tenerife since Sunday night with Starmus itself having kicked off Monday afternoon. I have lots of photos so far, and I will add more thorough updates here soon.

In the meantime, you're welcome also follow brief updates and some photos on my Facebook. I have no restrictions so you should be able to see it all without the need to add me as a friend. Use the tags:

#starmus2014
#seanieatstarmus

in Facebook's search and you should see my photos and a few posts.

Wishing you could be a part of this historical event here in person, but take some comfort in that IFAS and Irish Astronomy has been well plugged to many other people here from around the world and have taken notice, even some of the big guns!

Thanks,

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by Seanie_Morris.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnflannery, nectarine, michael_murphy, PaulWalsh

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #101836 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Coverage of Starmus 2014, Tenerife
Cheers for that Seanie ... looking forward to hearing all about the trip when you get back. Enjoy the rest of the week!

I mentioned to Patrick that Alexei Leonov would be well worth interviewing. Hope you got a chance meet some of the big names.

If interested, I've a Powerpoint presentation on Irish Astronomy at dl.dropbox.com/u/25805353/Slideshows/Iri...my_speaker_notes.doc and dl.dropbox.com/u/25805353/Slideshows/The..._Irish_Astronomy.ppt

Someone at Starmus might like the story of spaceflight one at dl.dropbox.com/u/25805353/Slideshows/The...y_of_Spaceflight.ppt (a couple of things need updating such as the date of the ISS completion, etc)
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by johnflannery.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seanie_Morris

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 6 months ago #101910 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic IFAS invited to Starmus, Tenerife Sept 22nd to 27th
...and just like that, it's all over!

What an experience! Meeting such minds from science, astronomy and astronautics... Wow!
Visiting Teide Observatory and looking at my reflection in the 10.4 metre GTC on La Palma... Wow!
Making friends at the conference and seeing the different walks of life who enjoyed the subject matter... Wow!

What can I say?!

Wow!

A better report will follow up in the near future, there is lots to write up about. For now, as I already said 2 posts ago, you can see a brief snapshot of my attendance via my Facebook page using #starmus2014 as the search string.

Thank you for the messages and emails of good intent that came in over the past 2 or 3 weeks, this was one hell of an opportunity - for me as an individual, as an amateur astronomer, and as a representative of our beloved organisation and all the member astronomy clubs, on the world stage.

Seanie. :)

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, johnomahony

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds