• eansbro
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
8 years 10 months ago #104192 by eansbro
Replied by eansbro on topic Congratulations to Mike Foylan
Mike,

Have you got a lot more recorded observations from others that might correlate with a better period as compared to an earlier Fourier analysis?
I understand that the period has increased now to 19 hrs from the few early obs of 15 hrs.

Eamonn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #104198 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Congratulations to Mike Foylan
Hi Eamonn,
Yes; recent additional high quality observations and compiling older data from other surveys has finalised the period to be 1.2061 days or 28.946 hours, phew, I need a few beers!

Best wishes and clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

• Terry Moseley
  • IFAS Rep for a Member Club
  • IFAS Rep for a Member Club
More
8 years 10 months ago #104206 by Terry Moseley
Replied by Terry Moseley on topic Congratulations to Mike Foylan
I've just seen this - congratulations Mike! it's VERY rare now for an amateuir to be able to discover a new variable, with all the automated programmes using large computerised telescopes in good observing sites, not to mention space observatories like Hipparcos & Gaia! Well done!

Look after the Earth
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike

More
8 years 10 months ago #104231 by Mike
Thanks guys

Just a brief update; I am glad to report that the AAVSO has approved this recent new eclipsing binary system discovery with the following message today…

Dear Michael C. Foylan
Congratulations! Your submission to VSX of the new variable star 'GSC 05065-00218' has been reviewed by a moderator and APPROVED. The data from this submission is now available from the public database. In addition, an AAVSO Unique Identifier (AUID) of 000-BLQ-866 has been assigned to the star, and may be used when submitting observations. Your assistance in making VSX a better tool is much appreciated.

Clear skies,
VSX Administration

See link for more details…
www.aavso.org/vsx/index.php?view=detail.top&oid=409399

It’s a relatively easy target guys from Ireland so additional observations are always most welcomed.

With best wishes and clear skies
Mike

Cherryvalley Observatory (I83)
Meath.

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

More
8 years 9 months ago #104430 by Mike
Hi guys

Now that the dust has settled and the excitement has diminished somewhat I left out (unintentionally and much to my annoyance) a very important aspect of this discovery and that is the team involved in making the results you see known to the wider astronomy community.

I would like to take this (late) opportunity on this forum to say a BIG thank you to Mr. Ale Marchini of the University of Siena whom kindly spent many hours taking CCD images over a number of nights from the University’s well equipped observatory and also spending many hours of his free time analysing the data along with his good friends and very skilled astronomers in their own right; Mr. Fabio Salvaggio and Mr. Riccardo Papini whom also spent many hours analysing and making sense of the data and making it presentable and understandable. Without their help, guidance and advice I would have simply given up. I am honoured and lucky to work with a great group of guys and to rightly give credit for their excellent work and not forgetting Mr. Brian D. Warner of Palmer Divide Observatory based in the USA that helped out with equal enthusiasm.

Please feel free to click on the facebook link below to view the Observatory based at the University of Siena and all the excellent work they undertake including astronomy outreach programs for children and young adults, excellent work indeed. I am sure a simple click on observatory’s “Like” button would be most appreciated by the excellent staff based there.

Facebook link to the Astronomical Observatory of the University of Siena…
www.facebook.com/astro.unisi

Link to Mr. Brian D. Warner’s Palmer Divide Observatory and the excellent research there…
www.minorplanetobserver.com/PDO/PDOHome.htm

As always; clear skies to all

Mike

The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds